router for online gaming and streaming netflix

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slith003, Apr 21, 2011.

1. slith003 macrumors member

Why is it that a faster rated router is better for gaming and streaming netflix. For example one rated at 150 mb vs 300 mbp/s. When internet speeds from isp are only at 5-10 mbp/s?

2. iMackPro macrumors 6502

i have a linksys wireless N router, and i play CoD and stream netflix. never have to buffer unless i rewind. only takes a few seconds to catch up and then i have no hiccups the rest of the movie, however; this router is like 3 years old and i hope you find a better one! ive been in the market to upgrade as well, have you researched the Time Capsules? i need an external HD too and im thinking about buying one of these, if the I/O is very quick and the N router it comes with is fast enough

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'd research more into the time capsules if I were you, they have a history of overheating and failing, some people have even drilled "speed holes" in them to help cooling.

To the OP, a faster router will only reduce latency from your laptop to your modem, otherwise it won't do much for you. Buy whichever one suits your needs and you'll be perfectly fine. A wireless-N router's only true advantage is that the wireless transfer speed in between two computers on the same network is much much faster than b or g, but it's still slow as hell compared to a wired connection.