Router Help - N, USB, DDNS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by claimed4all, Feb 17, 2009.

1. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I am looking for a new router. I have looked at the Airport extreme, but its alot and I believe it does not have DDNS built in (con somebody confirm?). Listed Below is what I want.

- N Wireless Networking
    - DDNS service - to dyndns.com or other service
    - USB port that is Harddrive and USB Hub compatible (for later expansion)

I currently use a WRT54G that has been flawless for its 5 years of service. But I would like to have network storage that I can access anywhere. What would you guys recommend? My other option is just purchase a true networkable harddrive and continue to use the WRT54G, but I don't think I will like the wireless speed of file transfers.

2. teombe macrumors newbie

IMHO, the WRT54G is still a "best buy" 5 years on. If your current one dies, buy one of the WRT54GL (same as the old V1 WRT54G's) and run DD-WRT on it. Then, you can use all of the advanced routing functions, etc. I haven't found anything for less than $75 that can actually route faster than those old Linksys linux routers.

Here's what I would do.

Keep the WRT54G as long as it still runs

THEN-

Run a second Wireless-N network using an Airport Express. This way, you can run it in the 5GHz band, pretty much free from the interference of your neighbors' 2.4GHz routers (if you live within Wi-Fi range of your neighbors).

3. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

That was one thought, hang on till she dies. I have also looked into DD-WRT and then I thought, This router has been flawless, don't try to fix whats not broke.

What I really want though is a small file server on network. Thats why I thought a newer router with USB and DDNS, that way I could access my files anywhere.