Router Home network help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crzdcolombian, Dec 17, 2015.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I just bought a split level home that is 2,100 square feet with a 1,200 square foot basement with over a acre of land. My old place was a small 750 square foot apartment. Wondering what is a good router to purchase for a home that big. Should I get two routers?

I currently have the Airport Extreme AC since 2013 but might just give it to my parents who have my old 5th generation one that is finally starting to fail.

I went online to look at how to set up ethernet jacks and that looks like a pain especially because my roof is a crawl space and not walkable.

Any recommendations?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

A single AC router should still do just fine considering my 2009 Airport Extreme Base Station is more than enough for all of my devices in my 1100 sq ft apartment in addition to my upstairs neighbors who always want to connect to my network. And mine is just a dual-band N router (albeit an awesome one). So I don't see why you would need 2 routers or even an extender.

Since most of the routers out now are at the least dual-band, just set it up properly (if you even get a new one at all) and be sure to assign the devices properly so as not to bog the system down.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well why don't you try out what you've got first it should be fine. If not there are endless ways of increasing coverage the easiest way is using powerline extenders such as these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_81978mpxc6_b

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

So much depends on the design and layout of your house. I need two routers in my split level flat in London. I was a big fan of power line extenders but would not use them anymore. I really realised their limitation when I had fibre installed and found that with a 1 Gig internet connection my power line adapters was only doing 40 to 50 Meg and that was with the highest speed model. Also 2.4 Mhz will give you more coverage than 5Mhz you really need a router that does both and also support AC.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I own a 3 story home with my service coming into the lower level of the home. I had an AEBS that was fine for the basement and most of my main level. Was spotty at best on the top level. All I did was add a second AEBS and an AE onto my main level. It extended my network to cover everything in my home. Added bonus was that it even extended it to outside my home.

6. jmiddel macrumors member

7. an-other macrumors regular

You can also use multiple Airports to extend your network. Not sure if it's cost effective for you. In my case, I upgraded (refurbs) to "AC" routers. My old "N" ones are still connected on an extended network. My iPhone and Apple TV are the only "AC" device I have.

I had a master plan to update other hardware devices to take advantage of the 802.11AC. Why i didn't is something for another post.

Paraphrasing another writer: Airports may not be the fastest or most technically advanced routers on the market, but they're bog simple to configure and the most stable ones I've ever used.