Router Install

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stanza1, Aug 26, 2012.

1. stanza1 macrumors newbie

Hello
    I want to make a WiFi hotspot in my house. I have an iMac (OS 10.5.8) and a Belkin N600 DB wireless N+ router. I have Google wifi delivered by a Cat-5 cable from an external antenna on my roof. The Belkin instructions are to connect the router’s internet cable to the external modem. Problem is: I don’t have an external modem, it is in the computer. How do I hook the router up? Do I need to buy an external modem?

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Have you tried connecting the ethernet cable from the antenna into the WAN port on the router?

3. stanza1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Router Install

Yes, I have connected the ethernet cable from the antenna into the WAN port on the router, it didn't work, Thanks

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

You could set up your iMac to do Internet sharing and then your iMac would be a wifi hotspot. Wasn't sure if you wanted to use the wifi for your iMac or other devices. If it is for other devices, this will work, but won't work if you just want wifi for the iMac.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Do you have to run any special software on your Mac to use the internet? If not, then you really should be able to connect the router to the cable coming from the google device. Have you tried calling support and telling them you want to use a router? Most ISPs have resigned themselves to the fact people have more than one computer in their house and they (mostly) no longer brow beat you about "not supporting" routers.