router/internet help needed please!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by inchi, Jul 21, 2008.

1. inchi macrumors newbie

currently i have a pc connected to the internet through a speedtouch 330 modem. (i'm pretty sure my internet connection is adsl.) i'm gonna get an imac soon, but i found out that my modem won't work with it. i started looking for routers, but i am a total noob at this kind of stuff and reading instructions and faqs only made me more confused.

i don't need networks or anything, when i get the mac it will be the only computer i will use, even though i'll still keep my pc. can anyone please explain to me what exactly i will need (i read somewhere that besides a router i will need a modem, is this true? :S) and how it will all work?

sorry if this is too confusing. i really appreciate any help.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You only need a router to share one internet connection between numerous computers. If I'm understanding you correctly, you only have one computer, so you don't need a router.

Why won't your modem work with your iMac? How is your current computer connected? If it's through a ethernet cord, you shouldn't have a problem.

EDIT: It appears that you're right, that modem is not compatible with intel macs. I would call your ISP and arrange for a new, updated, modem and then you'll be all set.

3. burntwaffle macrumors newbie

Best hing i can tell you is get an airport extreme.

it's a modem/ router combo, yet very fast.

it IS on the pricey side but you could find good deals

and the speed is 802.11n

.(or you can listen to EricNau [good choice])
    ^^^ Listen to the advice boy, or girl^^^

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Are you currently using USB to connect the PC to the internet? To my knowledge that could be the only thing, since Mac's do not support internet via USB.

On the back of your modem do you have a connector on it that looks like a wide telephone jack? If so, all you need is a simple CAT-5 Patch Cable (straight-through or cross-over will work on your iMac), and use that to connect to the modem instead of the USB.

Outside of that, contact your ISP and demand a modem with a network jack (RJ-45).

TEG

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

NO no no

Absolutely incorrect. Apple's airport extreme (or express) is nothing more than a wireless router. While they are very GOOD routers, they are NOT modems. Back in the day the Airport Extreme had a dial up modem included, but not anymore.

6. inchi thread starter macrumors newbie

the only connections my modem has are a usb cable that goes into my computer and a rj-45 cable that connects to the phone line.

can you give me any suggestions on mac-compatible modems? i don't want to call them and have them send me something that won't work with a mac (again) :)

btw, thanks for the replies everyone!!

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Any modem that has an ethernet (RJ-45) jack to connect the computer to should work.

TEG

8. inchi thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thanks again :)