Router/Internet Security

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KettyKrueger, Jan 10, 2009.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi All

Just wanted to check something.

I've got a Netgear DG834G V3 router. I've just updated the firmware to the latest one on Netgear's site, which unveiled a whole host of new security settings.

After a bit of research I opted for WPA2-PSK(Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 with Pre-Shared Key). Is this the best thing to go for out of the below options:

WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
    WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)
    WPA2-PSK(Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 with Pre-Shared Key)
    WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK
    WPA-802.1x
    WPA2-802.1x
    WPA-802.1x+WPA2-802.1x

I've got myself a random password (thanks to a generator website) and I'm not allowing the broadcast of the name (SSID). Is there anything else I can do to make my network more secure??

Thanks in advance.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Allow access to the router only from your own MAC addresses. Then add the MAC address of each computer that you own.

3. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Cheers, just done that now!

Anything else?

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That and encryption as linked above is a pretty water tight setup. The only other thing you could be would be to make sure the firewall rules are configured correctly. Which is not as easy as it first sounds. Having a basic setup is easy, having a more complex setup is actually quite tricky. You might actually be better served with a Linux or OpenBSD box to act as a firewall, or is you prefer a Mac only solution install Little Snitch on all of your Macs and configure it carefully.

5. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Thanks for the help. I think I'll keep it as it is, getting a separate machine is too much hassle!

Is there a program out there to monitor who is connected to the network (wired and wireless)? I suppose the router would tell me but it's a pain logging into the router and then finding the correct section, etc. A nice little Dashboard widget would be useful.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

7. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Thanks, I'll fire Google up..