Router issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by prosty41, Feb 24, 2013.

1. prosty41 macrumors member

Hello,

We have broadband Internet service in which we pay for 10 megabits a second... We use a basic netgear range max wireless N router model wnr3500. In the house we run iPhones, Apple TV, ps3, Xbox, a brand new late 2012 and a couple of older MacBook pros...

The issues is that often times our iPhones have trouble connecting or running decent speeds off of the router. For example I was on my iMac yesterday and a speed test showed I was getting 8.5 megabits of speed. Sitting in the same spot, I ran a speed test on my iPhone and was getting like .075. After power cycling the router, the speed on the iPhone picked up but eventually went back down.

Anyone have any ideas?.. Do I need a different/new router?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might try a "reset network settings" on the phone then reenter the wifi info. That will give you a fresh network config on the phone.

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Maybe some of those devices are downloading something, which might explain why the speed goes up when you powercycle it, but back down afterwards.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

5. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I'd totally suggest a new router... you really do get what you pay for. (Although IMO Apple routers are a little too limited and overpriced.)

I picked up the Asus RT-N66U a few months ago along with my own cable modem. Absolutely loving it!