Router & Modem Die? Coincedence?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hrothgar, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

Sorry, this really isn't a Mac question, so feel free to delete or ignore.

I have a Time Warner cable modem and a 5 year old Linksys router. I'd been away for a week, and when I returned I found that my router was unplugged. (odd.) I plugged it back in, and although my Powerbook showed an airport connection, I couldn't open a page. The "PC Link" light on the modem wasn't working, even when I hard-wired the modem to the Mac. I exchanged the modem. The new modem works when hard-wired with the Mac, but not through the router. Is is possible that my router and modem both broke at the same time?

Anywhos, since I can't find any documentation on the router, I think I'm going to get a new one. Probably another Linksys, based on advice on another current thread. I'm considering an Airport Extreme, but this is only used weekends for searching the web on my Powerbook, and that seems like an unnecessary investment.

Cheers.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'd be trying to figure out how it became unplugged.

3. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

My receptacles are quite loose, and I had some work done on the outside of the house. I'm assuming that it got knocked out.

But, yes, that was a little disconcerting at first.

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I use Comcast Cable Internet and they provide the new DOCSIS 3.0 modem..

Keep in mind some 3.0 modems may not be backwards compatible with 2.0 and the new 3.0 isn't in very many markets.

3 or 4 months ago the above Motorola 3.0 Modem wasn't available in the mainstream marketplace. Looks like it is now.

I'll still pay the $4 a month modem rental. Cheaper than spending the $95.00

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would try resetting the router first. Usually there is a pin hole reset button on the back that can be depressed by a pen or paperclip.

With the router turned on depress the button for about thirty seconds then release. This should set your router back to factory settings. You should then be able to reconfigure via your web browser. You may need to enter it's IP address in the address bar.

To reconfigure you will likely need to connect your powerbook directly by ethernet, though some routers broadcast a default SSID for wireless (usually the brand name ie linksys).

edit: the routers IP is usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Since you mentioned linksys the default ip is 192.168.1.1 as I recall; the username is admin; the password is admin.

7. GregUofMN macrumors regular

My 4 year old Comcast supplied modem must be shot. In the course of a typical evening my modem loses the connection. Pressing the reset button on the top does nothing.

The modem is connected to my Time Capsule which I use as my wireless router. When the modem goes out, I have found that the only thing that works is unplugging the modem, going to where the cable line comes in the house and is diverted to the modem and tv's. I have to disconnect the cables and reconnect and then plug the modem back in. So far it seems to work about 100% of the time, but I'm sick of doing it.

Is there a shelf life on modems? What make/model of modem do you recommend that I purchase? Ideally, I would like to return my modem to Comcast and get a new one, but I'm sure that they are simply reusing the returned modems.

Thanks,
    Greg

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you mean you are losing your link from the modem to the internet not the modem to the router. Then give Comcast a call and tell them the router keeps dropping the connection.

I was experiencing this for quite a while though it was infrequent. Then suddenly it started occurring frequently. As it turns out the signal strength between Comcast and my modem was too weak because the previous, idiot, installer added my cable modem to the TV signal booster. Which results in interference with the internet connection signal.

When the installer saw my signal strength he was surprised that I ever received a connection.