Router Newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jonathan002, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Jonathan002 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here.. : )

Anyway I was wondering if anyone can reference me to a good website, book, or source material that can explain in detail how to set up and bridge router networks for things like small businesses and hotels.

I don't have much technical experience when it comes to these things so please make it noob-friendly.

The reason I need to know is because I'm trying to help my family's small hotel get with the times and have good wifi for the guest. Currently we do have wifi except it was done very poorly by the last technician resulting in multiple networks with different long random passwords. (It's very frustrating if your a guest that has to switch networks every time you move around the hotel.)

One more note is also how thick our concrete walls are so we need around 5-6 routers at least to get signal everywhere conveniently. I'm not so sure but I'm guessing routers should also be within the same model type so that bridging them would be easier if their OS was an issue?

Also the hotel is on a tropical country and temperature for the current routers cause them to stall/reset due to overheating. So routers that are robust to hot areas or cooling ideas are appreciated as well.

Btw would the airport express be a good choice? The reason I ask also is cause of my hardware as I have a 2010 macbook pro and thought it would be easier to set up. For home I have set up and bridged a time-capsul with an airport express and felt comfortable setting it up so if they are up to the job I would also consider buying airport expresses.

Any help or feedback will be greatly appreciated! : )

2. 50voltphantom macrumors regular

50voltphantom

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You are welcome!
    One needs to take this with a grain of salt, because it explains the configs on old version of AP Utility. But the basic ideas remain the same.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

You might also want to check out http://www.open-mesh.com/.

Their system looks affordable, easy to install, and looks like it will give you more manageability than Apple will.

5. Jonathan002 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the reply guys! The open-mesh seems like a really convenient route for me to go and am leaning towards the option now. Still gonna keep my eyes open for the next few days before preparing the investment.