Router Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BigJakeA, Jun 28, 2010.

1. BigJakeA macrumors newbie

This isn't really a mac problem, but you guys could probably help me. I just bought a Netgear Router (WRN2000v2). I brought it home, set it all up, but I still can't get the internet. I went through the whole router set up and it showed that everything was complete and I was connected, but when I tried to go to any other page I got timed out.

I have looked through the user manuals, I have searched for this problem online, and now I turn to you guys. If you need my computer info I am running a brand new MacBook (Nice to finally go portable from the iMac I bought in '06).

Any help is appreciated.

Jake

2. BigJakeA thread starter macrumors newbie

Also my internet provider is comcast if that helps any.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could give us details, on what and how you setup your network - router and Mac settings, connection type, ... .

And you can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How are you trying to connect through the router? Wire or wireless? Can you ping anything? Open System Preferences -> Network, what are your configuration settings?

5. BigJakeA thread starter macrumors newbie

I am connected to the router via ethernet cord (wifi connection doesn't work either). I can't ping anything (Had to look how to ping something). In the system preferences what are you guys wanting me to put up exactly? Under ethernet where it says IPv4 I am using DHCP.

I hope that gives a little more information.

6. hmmfe macrumors regular

Report back: System Preferences --> Network --> Ethernet. You should see the following; ip address, subnet mask, router, dns server.

Once you know what your ip address is, there are some rather simple troubleshooting steps you can walk through.

Let's assume your ip address is 192.168.0.2, your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, your router is 192.168.0.1, and your dns is 192.168.0.1. I will use these addresses in the examples below. If different, replace with your actual addresses.

First. from your terminal.app, type "ping 192.168.0.2" (remove the quotes). Do you get a reply? (e.g. 64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=0... etc.) If yes, move to next step. If no, stop and and post results here.

Second. from your terminal.app, type "ping 192.168.0.1" (remove the quotes). Do you get a reply? If yes, move to step 3. If no, stop and post results here.

Third. from your terminal.app, type "ping 4.2.2.1" (remove the quotes). Do you get a reply? If yes, move to step 4. If no, stop and post results here.

Fourth. from your terminal.app type "ping www.google.com" (remove the quotes). Do you get a reply? If yes, move to step 5. If no, stop and post results here.

Fifth. Open your favorite web browser and go to www.google.com. If the page loads, you are on the intarwebs. If not, post results here.