Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
I have been using a D-link D-624 Wireless router for over a year. The last week I have been experiencing a lot of wireless signal dropouts. Can it be that the Router is on it's way out. I have reset it a couple of times and upgraded the firmware. But it's still droping the signal quite bad. Is there a fix? Or do I just go out and buy a new router.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Did you get a new 2.4 GHz phone recently? Is your microwave old and possibly leaking? Did you get a new microwave? Anything else you can think of that changed and can cause interference? If not, I'd look at getting a new router.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
What other computers are on the network? If your router is 802.11g and you are using 802.11b devices on it at the same time I have noticed the signal quality dropping off closer than with a solid "g" network.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
grapes911 said:
Did you get a new 2.4 GHz phone recently? Is your microwave old and possibly leaking? Did you get a new microwave? Anything else you can think of that changed and can cause interference? If not, I'd look at getting a new router.

No nothing new in the house or setup I can think of that could interfere. I know it sounds wierd but I swear that router is getting old and it's on it's way out.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
im_to_hyper said:
What other computers are on the network? If your router is 802.11g and you are using 802.11b devices on it at the same time I have noticed the signal quality dropping off closer than with a solid "g" network.

Alright! Here is my setup! "Put's flamesuit on"

I have one Pc that is connected to the router via ethernet. no problem at all
I have one IBM Thinkpad and my iBook those two laptops have wireless g cards. Both experience the dropout or low signal. My iBook is even worse then that Thinkpad.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
alexstein said:
Alright! Here is my setup! "Put's flamesuit on"

I have one Pc that is connected to the router via ethernet. no problem at all
I have one IBM Thinkpad and my iBook those two laptops have wireless g cards. Both experience the dropout or low signal. My iBook is even worse then that Thinkpad.

Hmm... I'm not the "router expert" here by any means, but I think it would have something to do with the age. You have no obstacles around it? All antenae are pointing up?

Sounds like what happened to my original 802.11b router.

MikeGA

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe your neighbour bought a cheap cordless phone recently? That could well be causing the problem.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
1 year is not old.

Try walking around your house with laptop, and see if you can ascertain where good signal strength is, etc. Maybe this will help isolate location of interferance if there is any.,

Your router may be pooched though. Pickup a Linksys WRT54G and see if that works. If you still have issues, you know it's not the router, and then just take the new router back for your money.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2005
If you have a 2.4 GHz phone next to your router, than will that definitley block the signal?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
The_Man said:
If you have a 2.4 GHz phone next to your router, than will that definitley block the signal?
It won't "definitely block the signal", but it can interfere with it. Generally, its a good idea to keep them far apart.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
grapes911 said:
It won't "definitely block the signal", but it can interfere with it. Generally, its a good idea to keep them far apart.

Yeah, and change the channels on the telephone and the router so the frequencies are as far apart as possible.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
I don't have a House phone at all. A friend came over today and tried to connect to my network and he has the same problem. We don't even get full signal strength sitting right next to the router.

How well does a Airport Extreme Base Station or Airport Express play with PC's.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
It does sound like a router problem to me. I don't know how well the airport works with PCs, but my parents have a Belkin pre-n router that works insanely well. We once put it in a closet it on the very bottom floor of the house and I still got signal in my old room on the opposite side of the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.