Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Right now I have the AT&T standard issue 2wire G router/DSL modem and the best service I can get in my area is a download sp of 1.5m. On my network I have a MBA, iMac, iPhone, iPad and a HP printer. Lately I have been getting some "not connected to the internet" messages and as the DSL modem is a few years old I'm thinking an upgrade is due.

I would like to move up to the AirPort Extreme but is it true that I will need to purchase a separate DSL modem?

Even though my DSL is slow will switching to a N router increase my speed or stability?

If not the Airport X is there any other configurations that stand out?

Thanks
R

rkb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Your internet's connection speed is limited by your DSL connection's maximum throughput. If you buy an 802.11n router I don't think you'll see much difference.

Yeah, that is certainly what I was afraid of. However, as I think my current router maybe on the outs and I'm optimistic that my service will improve is the Airport X a better way to go VS another ATT modem/router combo machine?

Thanks

applemacsmith

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
I changed ISP providers recently and found the modem / router they sent me actually slower than my old one .

My D-Link 2740R is a lot better than a Belkin unit I had before .I would also look a Billion now if buying new

AMS

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Are you buying or renting the modem? If renting, see if ATT will replace it for you first.

If you bought it then both parts (router and modem) are suspect, although it's probably a modem issue if you aren't getting any connection at all. You'd likely have to replace it with a new DSL modem and then buy a separate router- having combo units just makes things more difficult when one of them isn't working right, as you have experienced.

As far as the AEBS for reliability- I guess. I've had a lot of routers over the years and haven't found the $150 (or whatever it is) Airport Extreme to be that much better than the $50 routers from Belkin, Buffalo, or Linksys/Cisco. They all have problems.

rkb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Are you buying or renting the modem? If renting, see if ATT will replace it for you first.

If you bought it then both parts (router and modem) are suspect, although it's probably a modem issue if you aren't getting any connection at all. You'd likely have to replace it with a new DSL modem and then buy a separate router- having combo units just makes things more difficult when one of them isn't working right, as you have experienced.

As far as the AEBS for reliability- I guess. I've had a lot of routers over the years and haven't found the $150 (or whatever it is) Airport Extreme to be that much better than the $50 routers from Belkin, Buffalo, or Linksys/Cisco. They all have problems.

Thanks for the input, I own vs rent and will look into the options you listed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.