Router Recommendations?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GrantMeThePower, May 11, 2011.

1. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2011
    I'm currently using a WRT54G wireless router. It does its job as a wireless router, but with my new iMac coming, i'm thinking about upgrading to a new router for faster speeds.

Do most people use Apple's device? Is there a better one for the money? Any suggestions?
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Depends on what you need it to do. You can find 802.11n routers for less than half the cost of the AEBS.
  3. archer75 macrumors 65816

Jan 26, 2005
    I'm sure the apple router is great. I run my imac wired but I do also have a couple of wireless routers. The D-Link DGL-4300 is fantastic. I also have the actiontec supplied router from FIOS and the wireless on that works well too.

But I think to get the faster wireless speeds they say the 2011 MBP and imac are capable of you need the apple router.
  4. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    I would keep the wrt54g and get another single N-band router that is in front of the netgear (turn dhcp off of the netgear router) if you want to keep costs low, or get something like a DIR-655 for a nice B/G/N wireless gigabit router.

I love my wrt54g w/DD-WRT and hope to never part with it.
  5. whoda macrumors member

Aug 6, 2010
    I replaced my WRT54G2 with a E1000. It has dual band and allows for a guest network. My friends can get on the guest network (with a password of course) yet not be able to access my printer, scanner etc.
  6. lewisekrantz macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2007
    I recently switched from the WRT54g to the Time Capsule (as a router). That accomplishes two things. (1) it backs up everything automatically ()2) it serves as a good configurable router and is fully compatable with apple stuff