Router recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by webpoet73, Aug 19, 2014.

1. webpoet73 macrumors regular

I have a 4th Gen Airport Extreme but the transfer speeds are not as good as I would like, so I have looked a refurb 5th Gen because I can't afford the 6th Gen... so are there any other routers similar to the 5th gen AE that I should look at? Asus, Netgear, etc. I have about 120 bucks to spend...

Thanks!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Since you seem to be happy with AirPort but want a new router I would check out a refurbished Extreme 6th generation. The 5th generation is not a bad router at all but the 6th generation is noticeably faster and stronger.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com

Look over router reviews this site. If you don't care about having the latest 802.11AC wifi, there are a lot of good inexpensive options there.

4. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I can't spend the money even on a refurbed 6th gen ($170) when the refurbed 5th gen is affordable ($85). half the price. the 6th gen would have to be 2x as good or more for me to consider it. The wife won't go for one that expensive. I was looking at Netgear in the 100 dollar range (WNDR4500).

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

For N900 class routers like that Netgear, check out the ratings here. The top rated Asus there is $40 less than the Netgear on Amazon and looks like it has a lot of good reviews from Amazon readers. Might be a good fit for you.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I used a 5th generation AirPort Extreme as the head of a 105 client wireless network. Occasionally we got up to 140 clients across my eight APs and the Extreme. It is a fantastic router and well worth the money if you are okay with having N and not AC. The only reason why I upgraded to the 6th generation at home was so I could put the 5th generation at school for my Eagle Project.

In my experience, the Netgear WNDR4500 and 3700 are not good under load. A local school had them installed as APs and they had a whole slew of problems with anything over 7 clients connected and not even downloading. The engineer is obviously no longer with them and a new one is installing the proper equipment. I never had good luck with Netgear even at home in terms of reliability and stability. By the time you spend $100 on a Netgear you are at $200 because you need to buy two in two years.

In summary, get that 5th generation Extreme and you won't be disappointed.

7. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't need ac. We only own one device that has ac. Everything else is N (either 2.4GHz or 5GHz) or G.

I am going to take another serious look at the AE 5th Gen. I also considered the Asus RT-N56U. Seems to be getting pretty favorable reviews. From the reviews I read, the 5th Gen AE is 2x as fast as the 4th Gen AE and that suits me fine. I just need better range out of a router (and in turn better transfer speeds).

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Once again, I highly recommend the Extreme.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Anything is possible but I don't think so.

11. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

my favorite router right now is the Dark Knight router from ASUS.

12. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

Tight budget...

These are in my price range:
    Asus RT-N56U ($89)
    Apple 5th Gen AE Refurbished ($85)
    Netgear WNDR4300 ($89)
    TRENDnet DRU812U ($115) [even though I don't need ac and is a bit above my budget...]

The easiest solution is the AE as it can be just inserted into the network and I could keep my current AE and run a third router....

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would go AirPort then...