Router Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bluespark, Sep 9, 2018.

1. bluespark macrumors 68000

I am appealing to MacRumors readers for help choosing a new wi-fi system for a large, three-floor house. My current system is anchored by an AirPort Extreme where the cable enters the house on the middle floor; I also have a built-in Enterprise-grade wi-fi access point connected by Ethernet on the third floor, an AirPort Express connected by Ethernet on the bottom floor, and another AirPort Express connected wirelessly in the garage.

My new system would keep the built-in router on the third floor, but would replace the AirPort devices (which are dying). We are *very* heavy internet users, so speed and reliability are extremely important; cost is less so (but I still don’t want to throw money away).

Could I use a “mesh” system (such as Orbi or Eero) and still wire-in the third-floor access point and a wired access point on the bottom floor, or should I go with something else?

2. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

I'm in no way knowledgeable on mesh systems, but from what I have read and from the stated size of your home, a mesh system would be the way to go. I have no recommendation on which system to buy but there are plenty of available reviews and comparsions on the net that you can read up on.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I don't understand how folks can claim that mesh systems are good in locations with walls that block the signal. If my laptop can't get a signal in the next room how can the second mesh router be getting it?

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

For a "large, three-floor house", I suggest you start investigating "mesh".

There are numerous systems out there, it's going to take a while for you to sort them out and read up on what's available.

I'd suggest one of the "three-band" systems. These have a "third radio channel" that is used exclusively for "backhaul" so that it doesn't slow down the normal wifi channels.

A 3-node mesh system might make it possible to run with a node on each floor.
    After installing it as such, you might not need the existing 3rd floor access point any longer.

Or... get a 2-node mesh setup, and leave the access point in operation.

5. bluespark thread starter macrumors 68000

Shouldn’t I keep using Ethernet-connected access points where possible? Do mesh systems play well with other non-mesh access points?

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Since you have existing ethernet cabling be sure to research mesh systems that incorporate "ethernet backhaul".

7. bluespark thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you. So a mesh system with this feature could be used in conjunction with other Ethernet-connected access points? That sounds promising.

8. macdragonfl, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018

macdragonfl macrumors 6502a

macdragonfl

I would check out Asus, most of their routers now have AiMesh. You can choose from 2 or 3 band. The one rare feature with Asus is the usb3 is capable of both NAS and Time Machine with mesh. Also most of their routers are faster than the packaged mesh systems.

9. Polo2883 macrumors regular

10. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

11. HenryAZ macrumors 6502a

HenryAZ

Ubiquiti is good, but the requirement to run a Java controller is a pain.

Look into EnGenius AP's (such as the 1300 or 1750) for your cabled AP's. They are just as powerful as Ubiquiti (i.e., more powerful than the Apple products), and can be easily configured and monitored via an http interface built into the device. No controller necessary. I've tried both, and EnGenius wins hands down for ease of use, and matches the Ubiquiti in performance.

12. Mike75 macrumors member

I've got a Linksys Velop running with a node on each floor (3 story house) with ethernet backhaul. Other than being more difficult to setup than advertised, has worked seamlessly since then.

13. chabig macrumors 603

Uniquity also sells the consumer amplifi system. I have one and like it a lot. http://amplifi.com