Router Speed Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zw-gator, Aug 8, 2009.

1. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I'm using a cheap 5 year old D-Link 524 router (I'm sure everyone knows about these routers haha)

I'm using a MBP as my main computer and do no use wireless (it's turned off). Instead, I have it plugged in via my ethernet port...

Basically I'm going ISP>modem>D-Link>MBP via ethernet

I'm wondering, if I upgrade to a faster router, would I experience any speed increases in my internet? My ISP caps me at ~10Mb/s down and 0.5Mb/s up on a good day FWIW.

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

No you wouldn't notice a difference since the cap of the ethernet on your router is 100 Mbps. Though if you had a gigabit ethernet router you would be able to do file transfers faster or backups in the case of some of the linksys, AEBS, or Time Capsule routers.

If you want to test your speed, connect directly to the modem and see if there is a difference. That's the fastest it will be.

3. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

It depends on if it's wireless-g or b. If you have a b-router then you'll definitely notice faster speeds in a new router, but if it's g then you probably won't notice.

a=really slow
    b=slow
    g=fast
    n=really fast

Edit: Never mind, you're using a wired router. No, upgrading wouldn't make a difference since you're wired.

4. zw-gator thread starter macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Yea the router is g, my MBP is N

I guess if it's not broken, don't fix it haha