Router Speed

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by owazio, Jun 30, 2010.

1. owazio macrumors member

I am planing in buying a network storage from WDC.com and i have D-link router dir 655 with network speed of 144Mbps, will that be good for streaming HD video and large video file ?

Also if more than one laptop is connected to stream video will it cause delay because of the sharing ?

2. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

follow is assuming you are buy a storage device for your local network.

Unless you are trying to minimize devices plugged in, you would be better off getting a real switch. Most of the home broadband router/firewall/switch devices are not true switches.

Something like:

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-4-port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch/dp/B00006HXSK

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122111

A real switch though doesn't solve the problem of when two (or more) devices are all pointing at one other devices and trying to pull data close to the max bandwidth of the line. You'd need a storage device with multiple ports to get around that and still retain close to max rate. However, unless your laptops are plugged into the switch, you are no where near Gb speeds.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

If you're the only one streaming, you should be okay, provided you are getting a decent connection.

4. snsr macrumors member

The DIR-655 is still one of the fastest home routers available - you should be fine. Check out the router comparison charts at smallnetbuilder.com.

5. owazio thread starter macrumors member

I see, it's interesting to know the concept about switches but I am able to connect through my main dlink dir 655 router to a switch by using eathernet cable to obtain faster transfer rate wirelessly ?

6. snsr macrumors member

Your DIR has a 4-port gigabit switch built in - you shouldn't need another switch unless you need additional ports. A wired connection is better for streaming HD video, but your DIR should be able to do it wirelessly, too.

7. owazio thread starter macrumors member

By a switch i didn't mean the number of ports, i meant i should have another switch device such as D-Link-DGS-2208-8-Port-Desktop-Switch to have faster wireless transfer rate through connecting My D-Link Dir-655 to the switch which is D-Link-DGS and connect back to D-Link Dir-655 wirelessly to have faster transfer rate, is that possible or not?

8. snsr macrumors member

Are you referring to a wireless bridge? The DGS iust a switch, and is unnecessary in your situation as far as I can tell.

With your current setup:
    Cable Modem/DSL -> DIR-655 -> Computer (Ethernet or 802.11 WiFi)

Possible bridge setup (with something like this ):
    Cable Modem > DIR-655 >>WiFi>> DAP-1522 -> Computer (Ethernet)

9. Magaman macrumors regular

I use a Dlink dgl 4300, I'm able to stream MKV's from my MBP to PS3 without issue as long as I'm using ethernet, WiFi doesn't have enough speed for big MKV's

10. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

If you are going to pull video to multiple laptops through the wireless interface then an extra switch won't help. The choke point is the radio.

If you have a couple of wired 1GbE devices (including the NAS box) that will often transfer large data between themselves then it can help to segregate them all onto a dedicated 1GbE switch and just leave the internet bound, less that 1GbE wired traffic, and wireless traffic to the Dir-655.

For example a MBP , MP , and NAS box on gigabyte switch (which in turn connected to 655) with another mobile device connected to the 655's wireless. All three computers could pull on the NAS box concurrently better and you could expand to multiple NAS boxes later if needed. However if put both MBP and mobile on wireless and try to pull movies at the same time not going to get an improvement. You can get better wireless by taking computers off wireless (so less sharing).