Router Suggestion for heavy device usage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eradik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Eradik macrumors regular

So I think it's finally time to upgrade my 4 year old Linksys since we've been having some performance issues. While I would love to get an Airport Express, it's just out of my price range right now. We're looking for a really good router that handles a LOT of separate connections. These are what we connect, and while rarely do we have ALL of these at once going, oftentimes there are quite a bit that are.

4 Computers
    1 VoIP
    3 Phones
    2 Apple TVs
    2 Video Game systems

A total of 12 devices. Yikes! I'd like to get something that can handle heavy traffic like this. I was thinking the D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Gigabit Router, but I've read quite a few bad things about it.

Anyone have any opinions on heavy load routers?

Thanks!

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

I can recommend the 655.
    I have been using for a long time with over a dozen devices in my home.

3. Eradik thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that, I might have to jump on it then. Thanks!

4. o.neill.kid macrumors member

I have a Linksys E3000 with DD WRT on it. I currently have 2 PS3's, 5 computers/laptops, 3 iPhones, NAS, iPad, and a TV. When I have friends over that increases. This router can support all of that, even all at the same time. Its a champ. The range is incredible, and it just works. Plus with 4 Gigabit ports, your not only set wirelessly, but with say my PS3 going it streams 1080P video flawlessly (via wired connection, it can handle the video wirelessly but personally wired is still my favorite.)

The D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Gigabit Router may work for you, it may not. If you are able to purchase it at a location with a good refund policy and you don't like it, your always able to return it and try another.

5. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Even if you can afford the Express, according to Apple it can only handle 10 connections at once. The Extreme can handle 50.

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I can mostly recommend the 655 as well. I bought it for my parents when I moved out and took my Airport Extreme with me, and every time I'm home it's been great. The only thing I've noticed, and I'm not sure if it's the router, but over the past few days my ATV will drop the connection for a few seconds when I've been streaming for a while.