Router suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maflynn, Jan 31, 2012.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My Airport Extreme appears to be on the fritz, dropping the internet fairly regularly.

Couple that with apple's update that removes features and functions, means that I think I want a non apple replacement.

In the past, I'd probably look towards Linksys for a router, but are there any other manufacturers that produce some really good routers?

I searched the forum, but some of the threads I found were back in August and I'm not sure what may have changed in terms of models and features since then.

Given apple's adoption of 80211.ac (MacRumor's news page) Are we looking at summer time or later for these faster routers - of course my current mac is incapable of using the new wireless standard but when that gets replaced...

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

The features and functions are still there, but the new utility doesn't allow access to them. You can still download and keep the old utility to access the extra features (they can both reside on the same system as per Apple without issue). I am going to download the old utility to keep it around for that exact reason. Hopefully enough will complain that Apple will add it back in with the next update (yeah, I am holding my breath waiting for that).

I have heard good about the Linksys 4200 I believe it is.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

dont let the software hold you back, try to use the download disc and you will be fine.

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The question is, how long will that remain the case.

Thanks for the linksys recommendation, I'll take a look at that model :)

5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I've always liked Netgear routers. I just replaced my AEBS with a WNDR3700, which was a ton cheaper and has many more features. It also supports DDWRT, which is awesome if you like to tinker around with that stuff. I didn't appreciate the lack of features the AEBS offered, especially at that price point. It was a decent router, until it started to become unreliable. I'm much happier with my netgear.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I thought some of the WNDR3700s shipped with Atheros chipsets and therefore couldn't be flashed with DD-WRT...?

7. iMacprobook macrumors member

Check out Draytek, totally problem free since day one for me, unlike any other that i have used. 100% recommendation.

8. nkawal macrumors regular

9. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Mine has the Atheros AR7161 chipset and has been running v24-sp2 16785

[​IMG]

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hum, I must be thinking of the "other" chipset Netgear uses that doesn't work.