Router that extends open networks...?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whyrichard, Mar 7, 2009.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I have a studio space that lacks internet, however I can often get a weak signal from a nearby open network, but only in a small part of my studio...

My question... is there such a thing as a wireless router device that would extend the range of open networks nearby...?

Or if it is possible to extend the range of my own network to as much as 350 ft...

Any suggestions?

thanks,

r.

2. belvdr macrumors 601

You could extend the other person's network, but it would require two routers. One would be a client to their network, then a cable would connect the LAN side of that router to the WAN side of another router.

You can extend your own network using WDS, but only if your router software supports it. I have done it using my WRT54G running OpenWRT and I believe certain Airport models support this as well.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

All current Airport models support extending a network to encompass a bigger area. As mentioned you'd use WDS mode which means that the second or third base station connects to the first base station and then re-broadcasts that. It's quite useful in a big house.

5. belvdr macrumors 601

I've never used one of those. It is interesting that the Linksys model has reviews which state it must be used with Linksys devices.

6. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

I like this idea best, I can use an open network near my house while using an airport express as the second router for my music...

what is a good example of this sort of product?

thanks again!

r.