Router to Set Limits for Internet Use ...???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vja4Him, Jan 11, 2012.

1. vja4Him macrumors member

vja4Him

I need to find a good Router that will allow me to set a time limit for certain MAC Addresses for three teenagers (each with a different MAC Address).

Any suggestions ... ???

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Most D-Link routers such as the ubiquitous DIR-655 support access schedules.

4. vja4Him thread starter macrumors member

vja4Him

I've tried setting it up, but doesn't work ....

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You're not doing it right :confused: :D :p

I have one, and use schedules to control my GF's teenage daughter and it works fine, although it's a bit tedious. First you have to setup the schedules, and then you have to apply them under access control for the MAC addresses of interest.

One other thing... I find it's easiest or perhaps best, to define the schedule for when you want to block access... rather than when you want to allow access. Perhaps give that a try.

6. vja4Him thread starter macrumors member

vja4Him

Thanks. I'll try setting it up again. I'll try restricting my iBook G4 first for practice ....

7. funwithdesign macrumors regular

why not just use parental controls from within the OS?

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

In my case, my teenager has 4 devices that can access the net... it's easier to just setup a schedule on the router based on MAC addresses.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I used a Cisco managed router. I think there is software available that lets you manage with a GUI now, but otherwise it's nice to learn IOS.

For limited internet access or even specific applications, it works wonders.

10. dknightd macrumors 6502

Time of day is pretty easy - most routers offer this - for example Apple products. But the way they do this is to prevent you from connecting to the network at all. Might not be what you want.

Setting a time limit (i.e. 1hour/day) might be more difficult - I don't know of one that does this, but it might be possible.

11. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Also look into Tomato Firmware. The reason I originally selected Tomato over DD-WRT was that (at least at the time) Tomato also supports bandwidth monitoring, to tell if you're getting close to the quota from your ISP. Tomato is extremely easy to configure, and supports nearly everything I've wanted to do, save perhaps dual WAN routing. We use Tomato for all telecommuters in our company.