Router Trouble - Static/Fixed IP addresses just don't work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LimeiBook86, Apr 11, 2008.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Ok well I've been having a weird problem lately, and I've just about had enough of it. So my problem is this. My router is setup fine, I have my ports forwarded for all my programs, my wireless is secured, all my devices can connect to it. Except!

If I have a computer manually set it's IP address, the computer can not connect to the internet. The router is setup as a DHCP server, and it works fine. But if right now I went into System Preferences and changed the settings to Manual, or DHCP with Manual address, the router would still work with every computer - except the one with the manual address.

How weird is that? Now I've worked with a lot of routers before, but I haven't found anywhere in any of the settings to disable a static IP address. So I assume it should work. The manual has almost no references to a static or fixed IP address. It's a well known brand and model, so I'm sure somebody else has been able to figure out how to do this.

The model is: Netgear WGR614 v5 (802.11g) It is updated to the latest firmware.

If it matters, I have a 8 port Linksys switch connected the router (in the proper port) - but I don't think that would effect anything.

Any help would be great! Thanks :D

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Another way you can do this (and the way I personally really like) is to reserve IP addressed in your router for a MAC address. Then pronto, your router will assign that IP address to your device automatically. Just have the device automatically obtain an IP address.

Now, no matter if you reformat your device, use a different OS, or whatever, it will always have that address. Great, isn't it?

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah, the address reservation only seems to work sometimes however. I have no idea why. I usually have to restart the router a few times to get it to work. :rolleyes:

I guess this is a solution, but I'd still like to know why no static/fixed IP addresses seem to work.

4. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Dynamic

A Dynamic type of connection is the most common. If you use a cable modem, then most likely you will have a dynamic connection. If you have a cable modem or you are not sure of your connection type, use this.
    Static

A Static IP address connection type is less common than others. Use this selection only if your ISP gave you an IP address that never changes.

PPPoE

If you use a DSL modem and/or your ISP gave you a User Name and Password, then your connection type is PPPoE. Use this connection type.

Telstra BigPond

[Australia Only] Users of Telstra BigPond Cable or DSL will use this option to configure the connection.

--Eric

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

When you assign a manual IP on your computer, you also have to make sure to specify the subnet mask, default gateway and DNS server

6. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah I forgot about the DNS, since it's in a different tab in Leopard on the Network Settings screen. Whoops :eek: I had to set the IP address outside of the DHCP range of IP Addresses, then it seemed to work with a static IP.

Thanks for the help. :)