Router with Best Range

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Policar, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Policar macrumors 6502a

My old 802.11b router has poor range (I think, nothing to compare it with). We need to run a 50' ethernet cable to one computer that's out of range and just a few rooms away our macbook pros and PS3 won't receive a signal. We have thick walls, though.

Are there any newer routers with much better range? I don't care about speed at all--my internet is not that fast. But I'd really like to improve range. Or should I daisy chain routers across the building? Thanks.

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Well, ANY "N150 or 300" series, or even a "54G" series router would have considerably more range and better signal strength than your old "B" router............

Not to mention much improved security, easier set-up and adaptability too :)

I had a similar situation of not getting a good signal in some parts of the house with my old 54G router. So I got a N300+extreme router & now I can even go out to the deck on a completely opposite side of the house and ALWAYS get all 5 full bars on our lappys, iPad & Kindle......

ps... fyi, I live in the center of a college town, with bunches of students, businesses, & dorms everywhere & no less than 38 other wireless networks to compete with at any given moment !

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Use a standard router they've got better or switch to the home plug system

4. Policar thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Tannerjr macrumors newbie

6. Policar thread starter macrumors 6502a