Routine maintenance process

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jigga Beef, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Jigga Beef macrumors regular

What would be an ideal diagnostics/ system check up to run? I have Tool Tech Deluxe, Drive Genius 2, and Onyx.

I am using a Mac Pro on leopard with the HD in bay 1 as my Boot drive, applications, library and that is backed up using CCC to a HD in bay 2. Then in Bay 3 and 4 I am using a RAID 1 of my iTunes library.

Currently I run all the processing in onyx once a month. I was given Drive Genius and tool tech deluxe came with my Apple care, but I have yet to use either of these programs. Do either of them have a benefit I am not getting from Onyx. Also whenever onyx tells me I need to reset my computer I don’t do it until I have run all of the processes, is that okay?

I am also tempted to verify my HD and check permissions with disk utility but I have read when I was running tiger that this is not a good thing to do unless a problem is already occurring, does that still hold true with Leopard.

I think all of these processes minus disk utility only check my boot HD so is it possible for it to check my other drives as well. The HD's in bay 3 and 4 are only iTunes folders so they might not benefit from any maintenance process.

2. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

I just leave my computer on 24/7 and let the regularly scheduled daily/weekly/monthly maintenance scripts run normally. On my laptop, I use Maintidget to ensure that these scripts get run.

I do not bother with disk checks or permission repairs unless something is acting up. I repaired permissions for the first time in years in December to correct a legitimate permission problem.

I'd run disk checks if you had frequent restarts/kernel panics/power outages.

I have a utility to monitor the SMART status of the disks (which will only predict a failure ~50% of the time, but is 95% accurate when it does indicate an imminent failure) .

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I use Macaroni instead of Maintidget because it lets me schedule run my own scripts whenever I want. Plus I like the interface a lot better. It's not freeware though.

I use SMARTReporter to monitor the SMART status of all my drives.

S-

4. Jigga Beef thread starter macrumors regular

Should should i use one of the apps mentioned above for my maintenance? Is there a way to schedule the scripts in Onyx to run by themselves. Does your S.M.A.R.T. status reader check automatically or do you have to run the app?

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I have taken a cursory look at OnyX but did not investigate this aspect of the program. All I can say is that Macaroni works well and I am happy I purchased it.

Yes, SMARTReporter does check automatically. It can be configured to notify you by email, by alert, or to run an application. It's Freeware.

S-