Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bulldog VII

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
Dear all

I have recently converted to an imac & was wondering what routine maintenance I need to do??

When I had my PC I used to defrag the disc & used crap cleaner to get rid of unwanted files. I can't see anything obvious to do on my mac??

I also have am external hard-drive, is it easy to do a full back up on it??

Thanks

Str8edgepunker

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2001
Philadelphia, PA
First off, welcome to the wonderous world of all that is mac. Second, Don't worry about it, the mac just runs itself. That's one of the beauties of it. ;)

In all seriousness though, you could always run the repair permissions every so often under the disk utility application in the utilities folder. Also there are some daily, weekly and monthly unix maintenances that are run automatically but there are programs out there that help with maintenance of the computer. I personally use Macaroni, but I'm sure other people on here have their own suggestions like Onyx or Tiger Cache Cleaner.

Bulldog VII

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
Thanks for the answer

Next silly question, I have gone to the utilities menu & can not see the program you suggest running?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.