Routine Soft Reset

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by pr0230, Nov 26, 2013.

1. pr0230 Suspended

Recently my IPAD has been freezing,will not respond to home button, on/off switch or keyboard. I upgraded to IOS7 a while ago with NO problems and am on 7.0.4....

This is a verry recent problem within the past 24 hrs... This has happened twice...

My question is, I usually remove all apps and shut off the IPAD in the morning to get a CLEAN start for the day....Should I do the soft reset (hold home button and on/off switch) as a regular thing instead of just shutting it off?

2. joshforman macrumors regular

No, that's like force restarting a computer. If you want to hold on the power button and then slide to power off, you could do that. that would be like shutting down the right way

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Doing a reboot (hold power and home button until silver apple appears, then release both) is a safe procedure and allows device to boot up cleanly (assuming no corrupted files).

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

What you suggest might be a workaround but personally I'd look into what changed in the past 24 hours and try to eliminate the problem (new app, app update, configuration change, visiting a new website, etc.). If you haven't done so already you should do the reset. If you don't mind me asking, when it becomes unresponsive as you described (both buttons and keyboard) how do you recover it? :)

I also always remove all apps from my recently used app list at the end of every day but many folks will tell you that isn't necessary.

5. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

You could try a restore from backup. That will probably fix the issue. I wouldn't soft reset unless you have to

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

A reboot on regular basis isn't something normal for iOS 7: it's better to find the reason.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Realistically doing a shutdown and then starting up the phone yourself vs. doing a hard reset will pretty much do the same things as far as what gets shut down and what then gets turned on when the phone powers back up.

8. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Yeah, shutdown should be enough.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I said the same thing for years. I was anti-reset. Then the kid's iPod wouldn't AirPlay so I turned it off and on the "normal" way and it didn't help. I called AppleCare and they suggested a reset. With gritted teeth I decided to humor them until we could get to the real troubleshooting. And of course it worked and the iPod could then AirPlay again.

So I swallowed my pride and now when someone reports an issue I'll recommend one reset. I still agree with you BTW, a shutdown should be enough. But for whatever reason a reset can do more. :confused: