Routing downloads to external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rlgetman, Dec 4, 2011.

1. rlgetman macrumors newbie

Just set up a MAC Mini and will be adding a Seagate 2TB external hard drive. Since my MAC only has 2GB internal memory, I would like to set up my downloads to go directly to the hard drive. How can I set this up? I will be setting up iTunes and iPhoto to point to the external hard drive as well. Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

You got the RAM confused with the HDD size, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive capacity":
    What is Computer Memory? RAM vs Hard Drive
    RAM vs. Hard Disk
    Your Mac mini will have more than a 2 GB HDD, most likely 160 GB and more. The 2 GB you refer to is the RAM, thus make sure to read the above links.

Anyway, almost every application allows you to store data wherever you want, just look into its preferences.
    Here are some examples of guides about storing iTunes media on an external HDD.

And to learn more about Mac OS X:

3. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Downloads...

Are you talking about Safari? That is in Safari>Preferences>General then choose Save Downloaded File to: Choose Other and then you can navigate to your other drive...
    The iPhoto is moving the iPhoto library(Photos folder) and then starting iPhoto holding down the option button and you can choose the newly moved iPhoto Library. iTunes is also a move of the iTunes Media folder(Music folder) and then when starting iTunes with the option button and again choosing the newly moved iTunes media folder...

Hope that helps, but ask if you need more info.