routing issue after extending airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cshanney, Aug 15, 2013.

1. cshanney macrumors newbie

i extended one airport extreme with hardline to another in another building on our property. When I set wireless on the second airport extreme to "extend another network" I got intermittent failure, which looked like a routing black hole. I created a second network on the second airport extreme to solve the problem temporarily but I'd like to have one network (I am essentially doubling natting now)

anyone seen this before ?

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Wrong approach. If you are linking two AE units by LAN, then don't use Extend. You are actually trying to create a Roaming network, not extending the first AE unit's network. Extend only works if you are trying to extend WiFi. (AFAIK)

Here's what you might try.
    Connect the LAN cable from the first AE into the WAN socket of the second AE.
    Put the second AE unit in Bridge mode (i.e turn off its router functions)
    For WiFi on the second unit, use "Create a WiFi network" and use EXACTLY the same settings as on the first (even the same Channel settings).
    All devices will now get DHCP services from the first AE.

3. cshanney thread starter macrumors newbie

=========
    thanks, that resolved the issue
    cs

4. opinio macrumors 65816

I find the fail safe to fix issues with running extremes and expresses off a 'master' extreme is to factory reset the device you are using to extend the network then start it up and it should choose the best option. You shouldn't get a double NAT or double DHCP server because the install process will turn them off.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox