Routing Live Audio through iTunes 9 "Magnetosphere" Visualizer

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by pufferton, Aug 29, 2010.

1. pufferton macrumors newbie

I have been reading post after post and haven't found the answer yet.

I want to be able to route live audio through itunes so i can use the "Magnetosphere" visualizer.

OR

Some way to get the "Magnetosphere" visualizer to work with live audio outside of itunes.

Please don't tell me about G-Force, VJam, or some other program like that. I specifically want to use the "Magnetosphere" visualizer. In my opinion G-Force doesn't compare to its quality.

does anybody way smarter than me have an answer/idea?

2. pufferton thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Craw macrumors newbie

routing iTunes visualizer through other apps

Hi,

I want to do the same exact thing.
    I found this posting/video, and it appears CamTwist (free) can route video from one application through to another.

In CamTwist, choose Tools > Studio, and you can design it from there.

http://allanwhite.net/blog/comments/itunes_and_propresenter/

In this example, the author routes out to ProPresenter. It looks like ProPresenter can take a video input from firewire, or from CamTwists feed.
    Not sure if Ableton Live has the ability to route incoming video.

I'll be trying it out this weekend.

For now, good luck, and if you figure out how to make it work, let us know!
    -craw

4. pufferton thread starter macrumors newbie

yea that was one of the first blog post i read when i started the journey :)

ableton is not able to route video and if i remember correctly using the cam twist method wasn't going to work for me (can't remember why but i know one issue was i didn't want to pay for Pro Presenter)

what i did figure out was this:
    1)take live audio into Line In through 1/8" jack
    2) using Nicecast set source to Line In and quality to max (320Kbs, 48Khz) i don't know why but for some reason this worked the best as far as low latency
    3) copy your share link and paste it into the Open Audio Stream in iTunes
    4) mute volume in iTunes (so the only volume you hear is the live or front of house sound
    5)Voila! Now when you go to the visualizer it should only be delayed by around 1 sec (which isn't too noticeable)

i know its not perfect or ideal but for a cheap (free) and quick fix it definitely gets the job done...trust me i did some heavy research to figure out another free option (such as taking the Magnetosphere file and inserting it into other visualizer programs....it didn't work)