Routing SATA cables

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alphaod, Sep 23, 2010.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I need to router 4 SATA cables from each of the HDD bays into the optical bay where there will be 3 SSDs and a regular HDD. What is the recommended way to do this?

TIA.

2. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

As long as they dont obstruct the fans it shouldnt matter. use cable ties to keep it all tidy.

Just wondering.... Why dont you use the provided bays? they may overheat if stacked in the optical bay.

3. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Thanks, but I meant where do I route them through? (the front? around through the gap in the front? drill a hole in the chassis?)

Well I'm not actually using the ports on the HDD bays; already have HDDs on those; I'm connecting them to a RAID card which is pretty much next to all the bays.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

#alphaod
    I've sen you comment on lots of threads on hdds and I can't help but wonder, just how many hdds do you have? :O

and I'd be afraid of them overheating in the optical drive bay.

I once made a rig that had two hdds in front of the cpu intake fans on a dual G5

5. beaker7 macrumors 6502a

Route them around the opposite side of the optical bay with the rest of the SATA cables. If you put them on the near side you won't be able to close the side door.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Remove the power supply cable cover and the PCIe fan and route the cables through the little gap in the top left corner of the PCIe section. The ODD bay SATA cables also lead through that gap.
    It's no big deal getting 4 additional cables in there, just make sure that you buy the standard slim SATA cables with a length of 1m.