Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thermodynamic

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2009
USA
Call me crazy, but that cool majestic sound is unworthy of the internal speaker.

My standard speakers play sound, but I've not gotten the power-up noise to go through them.

Do I have to use the fiber optic connections to get this sound routed?

Or is it wired into the main machine's speaker only?

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Same thing with my '08 Mac Pro. I have external amplified speakers, but the startup "bong" won't play through them like it did in my G5. I tried looking for a setting to change but I couldn't find anything that would make a difference. I haven't tried searching this forum or the web for an answer, though.....I guess it's not THAT important to me. I'm still trying to figure out why the sound in Windows 7 barely works.....I have to crank my amplified speakers all the way up to hear normal volume levels.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Same thing with my '08 Mac Pro. I have external amplified speakers, but the startup "bong" won't play through them like it did in my G5. I tried looking for a setting to change but I couldn't find anything that would make a difference. I haven't tried searching this forum or the web for an answer, though.....I guess it's not THAT important to me. I'm still trying to figure out why the sound in Windows 7 barely works.....I have to crank my amplified speakers all the way up to hear normal volume levels.

In Windows, you might want to check the Realtek HD Audio manager (installed with the Bootcamp drivers) and see if the line output level is turned down. This control should be installed in the System Tray and it's separate from the normal Windows volume applet.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I suspect the reason it only plays through the internal speaker is due to the fact that it's played early in the boot process where no audio drivers have been loaded to allow playback through more sophisticated audio I/O.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
In Windows, you might want to check the Realtek HD Audio manager (installed with the Bootcamp drivers) and see if the line output level is turned down. This control should be installed in the System Tray and it's separate from the normal Windows volume applet.

I don't seem to have that option. Perhaps the problem is I'm using Boot Camp 2.1 that with my 10.5 install disks together with Windows 7 Ultimate. Can I use Boot Camp 3.0 with 10.5, or maybe updating to 2.2 will help? I have complete install 10.6 disks that came with my refurbed 08 Mac Pro, but I'm not sure how to use it to update Boot Camp.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Bootcamp 3.0 is compatible with all Apple supported Windows versions and is completely unrelated to OS X versions. It is just the publishing historie that makes the higher versions appear with Snow Leopard.

You simply insert the SL disk in Windows and start setup or Bootcamp64.msi depending of your Windows version. The Vista64 and Seven64 varieties obviously need the Bootcamp64.msi file.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Thanks, all! Installing the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers from the 10.6 install disk solved my audio problems.

Now, if we could just get our amplified "bong" sound back on startup........:)

maghemi

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I'd be curious to know how to get it working. I used to have it on a 2007 Mac Pro I sold recently, however at some point along the way it stopped working after an update and never worked again. I think it was one of the firmware updates but can't be sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.