Roving Bug confirmed- Video Proof of iOS5 roving bug on 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gladoscc, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gladoscc macrumors 6502

>> HERE IS THE VIDEO PROOF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxbMmDLc6Qk

WATCH IN HD

The roving bug in iOS 5.0.1 works like this:

It listens to the microphone. and when the microphone detects sounds above a certain threshold, it starts recording.

When the threshold drops, it stops recording and sends the sounds via voice, to the cell carrier.

When sending, a high spike in battery drain occurs - this is due to activating the radios, processing the audio, etc.

After sending, the battery drain returns to normal levels.

I have done this two times.

Note:

Carrier data is DISABLED.

Wifi is DISABLED.

iMessage is DISABLED.

Location services are DISABLED.

No apps in multitasking bar.

There is nothing else that affects this, since I disabled carrier data, it means that there is only one conclusion - a roving bug.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not even going to watch the video, but I will say this one time. We went over this before. 10+ whole pages of this. Your every argument was taken apart and shown to be nothing but a paranoia scheme. Please stop declaring things that are not there. Lastly, there is no roving bug in iOS.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

4. Surely Guest

Surely

But he said "confirmed".:confused:;)

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

6. gladoscc thread starter macrumors 6502

So you are not going to look at the proof...

It CLEARLY shows that there is a roving bug in iOS. I'm not going to respond to you any more if you choose to ignore thing that doesn't fit your agenda.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Alright then, after watching the video, which is a poorly taken one of hardly anything relevant to a roving bug, I came to this conclusion. What is happening is the iPhone is using its two microphones to use active noise cancellation in the event you pick it up and start making a call. This is a feature that was included with the iPhone 4 and 4S. Nothing new.

Furthermore, I had already outlined how roving bugs work in the last thread. They are a one way cellular telephone call that records everything. Not just the louder voice. Also, the recording occurs on the other end of the telephone call, not your end. That's why you don't see any audio processing processes or increased activity.

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Sooooo, Apple wants to spy on peoples' shouting? Why?

Also, if Apple sent out data with radios turned off, that'd be dangerous - not to mention highly illegal - since it could happen inside airplanes. Besides, processing a bit of audio and sending it off would use hardly any battery power at all, so the whole argument makes no sense. Is the basis of your assumption that the battery decreases a bit faster so people must be spying on you? :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I'm getting an urge to test this by shouting at my iPhone and seeing if the battery level decreases :p

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Can't you go watch some Saturday cartoons, or something?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Don't verbally abuse it. It's not the iPhone's fault it can't keep its battery healthy and happy.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Please return your iPhone.

Sincerely, the internet.

12. gladoscc thread starter macrumors 6502

Active noise cancellation, haha, no. The iPhone doesn't go and turn on all microphones, 7x24, and process with active noise cancellation - that starts with the call.

And this behavior does not occur with my iPhone 4

13. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

Looks like someone needs to up the anti-paranoia meds. ;)

14. bredman macrumors newbie

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone 4 doesn't do this because its noise cancelling is handled by a separate chip that has to be actives when the call comes in. That is why the first few seconds of the call don't sound that good. Whereas on the 4S, the noise cancelling abilities are built in to the A5 and are always active. This is why the call quality always sounds very good.

16. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

For the uninitiated, what the hell is a roving bug?

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A roving bug is when law enforcement use your cellular telephone as a listening bug. A federal warrant is need to do such an act and can only be done with the carrier's help and authorization.

18. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Thats what i thought. This guy's nuts!!

Then again if you listen closely to the audio he plays to "prove" his point, it's about guns and grenades. Maybe someone should be listening :cool:

19. gladoscc thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll believe you the moment you give me a source. No source = you making it up.

And why is it only activated when airplane mode is off? If it's "always active" I should get this in airplane mode too, but I don't.

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Same for you. Until you post a source specifically about you and your bugger(s), everything you say is made up and hearsay. No other post "source" in your previous thread is valid.

21. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In case this topic comes back to life again, a reference to support Intell's assertion:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/20/iphone-4s-component-costs-once-again-begin-at-about-188/

B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.