Row over Springer opera donation

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
A cancer charity has refused a donation from Jerry Springer - The Opera after a religious group threatened to protest.

Maggie's Centres said Christian Voice's contact prompted it to reject £3,000.

Christian Voice said it had warned the charity that accepting cash from a show full of "filth and blasphemy" would be a public relations disaster.

The show's star, David Soul, accused the religious group of "strong-arm tactics" and blackmail - adding cancer was not just a Christian problem.

Religious groups have criticised the opera for its frequent use of expletives and the appearance of Jesus and God as guests on Springer's TV show.

A statement from Maggie's confirmed they would not accept the donation.
Full article.

This really, really get's up my nose! Who the hell do these people think they are?? A show is offering money to a charity, a charity that needs the money. It's not stolen or drug money, it's good money. And these bloody religious ass holes have to stick their big heads in and stop it :mad:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
yellow said:
Apparently they aren't part of the What Would Jesus Do? group.
Apparently not. It just really narks me, fine, they don't like the show. Who gives a f*** :mad: There's lots of things people don't like. But if someone is offering money to a charity no external group should stick their nose in and make them feel they can't take it.

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
yellow said:
Ah.. when will people learn, god is dead? [asbestos: on]
I'm not sure if you mean a god or the God. It's a very sad comment. :(

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.