Rowmote for Front Row

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by HiFiGuy528, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

2. longdogs macrumors regular

Works great, nice little app. For some reason it doesn't look the same as the screencap though - instead of everything being circular, I have a square inside a diamond. I can't find a setting to change this.

3. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Can you post some screen shots? sleep & home button together will take a snap shot. Thanks!

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've tried it. Works great as mentioned earlier. It also gives you direct access to iTunes, Keynote, DVD player and Quicktime, not just Front Row. You have to download a helper program onto your Mac.

But I get the same as longdogs - although it works, it doesn't look like an Apple Remote. Can't upload a screenshot, sorry. I'm not at my main Mac.

If it's relevant, I have a first gen iPhone.

Edit: Realized I could email myself a screenshot.

Attached Files:

5. sallythemac Guest

Yeh whats with the different UI. The classic apple remote looks much better.

6. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Agreed, that part could use a little work. Maybe Apple wouldn't let him use the same design—no idea. It works great so far, but I think the UI could be tightened up a bit, maybe less boxy. That said I have really been looking for this and applaud the developer for making a very useful app that picks up where Remote.app falls off. Plus my little remote's battery is nearly dead. The batteries are way more expensive than this app, and (of course) the iPod/iPhone is rechargeable. Me likey.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I emailed the developer asking about the UI, and for a feature request.

I have Boxee on my Mini HTPC and I hardly ever use it since it means I have to drop out of Front Row and click on the dock. It would be cool if we could define, say, two or three more Apps to be controlled from the remote app.

8. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

hey, i knw that dev i think he is also the lead adium dev :cool:

9. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

My guess is Apple won't let him copy their design.

10. synagence macrumors 6502a

Then he's opening up the possibility of people getting refund as the app isn't as advertised ...

11. longdogs macrumors regular

A reply from the developer says:

12. ethical macrumors 68000

id love to see it work in plex. anyone know if this is already possible?

13. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I'm interested in an app like this but I find it really hard to want to support a deceiving developer. He may have had to change the UI last minute but he's had several days now to update the screenshot in the App Store and on his website.

14. cudo macrumors regular

remote buddy is way better. it combines the features of rowmote and remote from apple. you can control anything on your mac. many apps not only iTunes or front row but vlc, awaken, safari and so fourth. worth checking.

dont know if you can use it to sleep ur mac and wake it up. would be coool and complete

:apple:

15. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Remote Buddy? I searched the iTunes store and AppShopper and didn't see that app?

16. cudo macrumors regular

17. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

18. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

New UI

Rowmote has been updated with a new UI, which is something that we were discussing in earlier posts. I think it is a major improvement. It is actually pretty close to what I was imagining when I was considering how I would redesign it. Well done!

http://rowmote.com/Rowmote.html

Thanks to the developer.

19. orrelse44 macrumors regular

Wow, this is sweet. I can't believe how responsive it is--I dunno, i was expecting a lag, but the button presses are immediate.

Cool app.