Roxio Toast 10

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pyrotechnic, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

In preparation for my move to Mac I am looking at purchasing Toast 10.

Excuse my ignorance but what will purchasing Toast 10 give me over the included iDVD and any other utilities that come with an iMac.

My iMac has not arrived, hence the vagueness I have on the issue ?

2. Queso macrumors G4

iDVD is essentially just an add on for burning the projects you create with other iLife titles to a DVD, whilst putting it in a nice package. It can do more, but it's quite limited once you go outside of its core purpose.

Toast is more about other sorts of content. It allows you to arrange your media files (or just data files) then burn to a variety of formats, to copy or re-encode DVDs and CDs, or to create the less common disk types such as music DVDs etc. Toast is basically far more versatile.

3. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Thank you for a quick reply.

I have a HD Video Camera which I use to take footage of my children etc. Having now looked I see there are 2 versions of Toast which boasts several plugins over the titanium version. Presumably the built in slot of an iMac is not bluray - which version will I need ?

Its all very confusing. :confused:

4. Queso macrumors G4

You're right that Macs don't currently come with Blu-Ray drives, but you can buy external ones which Toast supports quite happily. If you want to burn HD content to disk Toast is definitely the way to go, since it can also burn HD content to a standard DVD until you get a Blu-Ray drive.

As for the version, the Blu-Ray support is a plug in which you buy separately. Toast is still the same though.

5. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Is it worth getting the Titanium Pro ?

Its an extra £30 to do so. I would rather buy something that will do the job than mess about with shareware etc.

I am buying this Mac set up so everything runs as smooth as possible :)

6. Queso macrumors G4

You may as well. Four extra programs for the £15 over and above the cost of standard Toast + Blu-Ray plugin, since the plugin comes included with Pro. I've never used those soundtrack editors etc. but in your position would take the hit and have a play :)