Roxio Toast 9 incredibly slow at encoding. OS X problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Garrod, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Garrod macrumors regular

I've been using various versions of Roxio Toast for a while now. I've recently purchased version 9 but I've had the same issue with previous versions of Toast as I have with version 9...it's only through total frustration though that I've created this topic!

Whenever I want to create a DVD from, say an AVI file, to watch on a conventional DVD player, Toast seems to take forever; for example, when I use Nero (even through Windows XP via VMWare Fusion, not to mention via Boot Camp), Toast takes, on average, about fours times as long as Nero does - and that's being generous! I realise that I'm only encoding through Nero doing a single pass encoding process (through choice) but surely, Roxio Toast 9 shouldn't really be this slow?

I'd be interested to know if this is the same for all Toast 9 users or is it just me? Is this a problem with my Mac (or installation Mac OS X) itself?

Any help or suggestions would be great here; I really would prefer to use Mac OS X and the software available rather than having to use Windows!

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Why are you using Toast for your encoding?

Rip the DVD using Toast

Encode it using Handbrake

Enjoy :D:apple:

3. Garrod thread starter macrumors regular

You can now encode into DVD format in Handbrake now?! I had no idea; I've not used Handbrake for years!

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Oh i thought you meant you wanted to rip a DVD and burn it onto a new DVD as an AVI sorry, i've never seen a DVD player that couldn't play AVI's before :)