Roxio Toast 9 OEM v. Retail - OEM worth lower cost?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Val-kyrie, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Deykon Worldwide Storefront is selling the full version of Roxio Toast 9 OEM for $29.99 + $3.99 S/H per pricegrabber.com. Are there any cons to purchasing an OEM copy of Toast 9 as opposed to the Retail version, e.g. upgrading?

[Edit: Lastly, does anyone know when Toast 10 will come out?]

2. jphall macrumors member

I have now seen Toast 9 OEM for sale for only $14.99. What does OEM mean? For any smarty pants out there ::grin::, I know it is "original equipment manufacturer," but how does that impact the purchase of this software?

I'm concerned as I recently lost my iTunes account to "fraudulent" behavior for buying several gift cards through Amazon. Apparently the sellers were not on the up and up, and I have lost a great deal of music and videos, and not quite the fan of iTunes Store that I used to be.

Anyway, what is the OEM deal? Is it eligible for updating to Toast 10? Or 10 Pro? Or is it a scam?

Thanks.

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Scam probably. Same thing with an OEM OS. It is made to run on a single computer. I always avoid OEM anything because it wasn't intended for the end user to use, just for a company, say Dell, to assemble.

4. jphall macrumors member

Thanks, I guess it should go in the "too good to be true" category and ignored. Strange as it was linked through the Macworld web site. But, the iTunes cards I got were through the Amazon site, you'd think they'd (Macworld and Amazon) police that kind of thing.

Thanks again.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...along the lines of OEM OS sales, winXP OEM is all over the place so couldn't that be used for a bootcamp or VM installation?

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

I've gotten OEM software legitimately before and had no problems. However I would not buy OEM from anyone but an established, reputable seller. That said, it shouldn't be too hard to snag a retail copy of toast 9, seeing as how toast 10 is/has been out for a while now.

7. jphall macrumors member

It has been amazing to watch the prices on Amazon- 10 is $78.50, 9 is 72.50, 8 is $70. Not at all what I would have expected.

And when I look at 10 Pro, it seems I should go ahead and pay $116 for it and get that extra stuff. But, that's getting into more bucks than I really want to spend. And why I wanted to know about an OEM purchase.

I will be keeping watching for a better, and legit, deal.

Thanks. Joel.