Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Along with the already announced "Central Park" neighbourhood, Royal Caribbean announced 3 more neighbourhoods today for their new Oasis of the Seas cruise ship.

Boardwalk:
AquaTheater_Day_w_sailboats.jpg

Features:
  • AquaTheater
  • At-Sea Carousel
  • 82-foot long Zip Line

For more pictures and information see:
www.oasisoftheseas.com

All I can say is wow. This thing is going to be huge... :eek:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I like all those terraced balconies at the back. All the better to fling yourself off the ship from when the complete mass of people onboard finally drive you mental.

If I wanted to go to Vegas, I'd go to Vegas. There's no point in being at sea on that thing.

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
5,400 guests would probably drive me insane, especially if they all went to eat at the same time. :(

I think it's cool an all, but putting everything on one ships kind of seems like overkill. Sure they have to manage over 5,000 people somehow, but really, who needs all that. :confused:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
... and "unsinkable" :eek:

5,400 guests would probably drive me insane, especially if they all went to eat at the same time. :(

I think it's cool an all, but putting everything on one ships kind of seems like overkill. Sure they have to manage over 5,000 people somehow, but really, who needs all that. :confused:

From the pics, looks like they have a whole 18 lifeboats! :confused:

You better not be caught in 3rd Class.... :eek:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Wow...it's a 220,000 gross registered ton which equal to 22,000,000 cubic feet of interior space (That's bigger than an aircraft carrier:eek:). That's a BIG ship--almost as big as one of the lifeboats on the RMS Tyrannic:eek::D:p (it's from the National Lampoon magazine back in the 70's). The RMS Tyrannic was one in a series of Biggest Things in the World. The iceberg that sank the Titannic could have been used as a centerpiece ice sculpture on the Tyrannic:D.

Edit: Bad math. 1GRT = 100 cubic feet not 10:p, so it should be 22,000,000 cubic feet of interior space.

Antares

macrumors 68000
X2.
Words fail me. Whatever happened to design with regards to ships?

Imagine the sheer horror of a "cruise" on something like that.
:eek:

I can only hope we get Poseidon Adventure for real…

"Swim Shelley, swim!"

Personally, I hope they leak.

A lot…

A bit harsh, no?

I'm not keen on cruise ships but a lot of people seem to enjoy them. Why not let them enjoy it?

My only concern is how are they going to power it? It will have less than the mass of a carrier. Though, it may be bigger in size. It would take a lot of ship diesel to power that thing. The operational cost would be staggering.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Bigger is not better in a cruise ship.

Look for the crew-to-passenger ratio.

You will see why the pricier carriers always have 1 crew for 4/5 passengers.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
It would take a lot of ship diesel to power that thing. The operational cost would be staggering.

Yep, but so long as the money they rake in is more than the operational cost, they will continue run the ship. If I remember correctly, it cost approximately 10% of the ship's value to run the ship a year. So if the ship costs $250M to buy, it'll cost $25M to run (diesel, crew's pay, food and so on).

Anyways, the only thing I enjoyed on a cruise ship was the free food.:) Last time I went, I ate 16 meals a day:eek::p. At dinner, I ordered everything on the menu:D (no the waiter didn't give my any strange look when I did so:p). The pool and was overcrowded (nothing like what you see in the ad's:mad:). I don't gamble, so all I did was ate and sh**, ate and ...;).
If you consider the cost of food, lodging and transportation to some of the ports, it's a real bargain. On land fall, you go where ever you want, but best not be late in returning or they'll thump you with a hefty (several thousand dollars) fee for search and rescue to haul you behind back to the ship.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
How does that search and rescue thing work? Do they send a squadron of marines and humvees into the shady souks of Tangiers?

Joking aside, how is it done?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.