Royally screwed up screen fix! (iPhone 4)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lorenn.x, May 16, 2013.

1. Lorenn.x macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2011
    After having all the parts for the while, today I felt confident that I could fix the broken screen of my iPhone 4 by myself. I planned to replace the speaker and dock as well which is the biggest reason I didn't get it replaced by Apple or an unofficial source. The cost would add up immensely.

Dissembling the phone is definitely a headache, but I didn't really run into any real issues. Once I got down to the screen, OH LOOK no digitizer. The most common mistake. The thing is I bought just the screen by accident once, but then repurchased another that had the little tab thinking that was the full part. I cracked the digitizer/LCD trying to remove it out of frustration so I can't even put it back together as it once was.

It went from a $20 job to a $150 job now, with a free headache and now a wait for the correct part. Shipped it express, but now that's its Thursday I'm cringing at the thought of it potentially not arriving until Monday.

One question, I ordered the speaker and new dock from eBay, so now I'm wondering if it's going to work properly. Are they all the same? The last thing I ever want to do in my life is take this phone apart again.

I've learned a lesson today, but maybe the biggest one is don't crack your screen in the first place. :) Absolutely annoying and I really don't want the new iPhone 5 or an Android so I'm stuck.

Just needed to vent a bit and was wondering about the other parts I purchased. Thanks.
  2. maliu macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2010
    Too bad you didn't just get an out of warranty replacement from Apple. $149 for a refurb phone with warranty.
  3. Lorenn.x thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2011
    I was just told this by somebody! I couldn't believe it, what a stupid mistake. I put the phone back together and I'm headed to the Apple store tomorrow, price is worth it.

Learned a lesson the hard way.