Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chillined1212

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
I had no idea where to put this topic, but I am trying trying trying to find the answer to my question. I am a youtuber, soon to be partner, and everything i make has to be royalty free. Therefor, when I do music video parodies ( makes fun of an originial song) I need to find music for the parody. Like say for example I need to make a parody on lady gaga's song just dance, I need the soundtrack thats royalty free. But I am wondering if there are any sites that sell the royalty free instrumental remake. I don't have people who make them availible. Please help. I am afraid I will never find my answer.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
I had no idea where to put this topic, but I am trying trying trying to find the answer to my question. I am a youtuber, soon to be partner, and everything i make has to be royalty free. Therefor, when I do music video parodies ( makes fun of an originial song) I need to find music for the parody. Like say for example I need to make a parody on lady gaga's song just dance, I need the soundtrack thats royalty free. But I am wondering if there are any sites that sell the royalty free instrumental remake. I don't have people who make them availible. Please help. I am afraid I will never find my answer.

You won't find it, considering those tracks aren't royalty free.
Whoever does an instrumental is in fact making a cover track, and therefore would be breaking the law should they decide to release an instrumental version without permission/royalty payment.
An example is karaoke machines connected to the internet. Every time an instrumental version of a song is played, the karaoke company pays royalty.

The only thing I could suggest would be for you or a friend to create instrumental pieces that KIND OF reminds people of the original track in question, without copying it.

As a music producer based in advertisement, I'm constantly having to do this.

chillined1212

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
You won't find it, considering those tracks aren't royalty free.
Whoever does an instrumental is in fact making a cover track, and therefore would be breaking the law should they decide to release an instrumental version without permission/royalty payment.
An example is karaoke machines connected to the internet. Every time an instrumental version of a song is played, the karaoke company pays royalty.

The only thing I could suggest would be for you or a friend to create instrumental pieces that KIND OF reminds people of the original track in question, without copying it.

As a music producer based in advertisement, I'm constantly having to do this.

Well when you do parodies, as longs as you own everything, then there is no royalties used. because according to the copyright law, parodies are part of some special thing or something. What I am wondering about is the insturmental. People with programs like fl studio and mixcraft make sound a like instrumentals, therefor making that instrumental royalty free, but I was wondering if there was a website where I could but that royalty free sound a like instrumental, instead of bothering the person to make me one.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
... because according to the copyright law, parodies are part of some special thing or something ...
:rolleyes:

You don't need to consult MacRumors. You needs to consult a lawyer familiar with the music business. (or fire off a letter to Weird Al).

chillined1212

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
:rolleyes:

You don't need to consult MacRumors. You needs to consult a lawyer familiar with the music business. (or fire off a letter to Weird Al).

Copyright law Section 107 provides that "the fair use of a copyrighted work . . . for purposes such as criticism [or] comment . . . is not an infringement . . . ,''.

Stating that parodies are fine. I have a lawyer. I was just wondering if there is a website that sells royalty free instrumental remakes. I guess no one knows.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Copyright law Section 107 provides that "the fair use of a copyrighted work . . . for purposes such as criticism [or] comment . . . is not an infringement . . . ,''.

Stating that parodies are fine. I have a lawyer. I was just wondering if there is a website that sells royalty free instrumental remakes. I guess no one knows.[/QUOTE]

Err. I do. As I clearly stated.
There are no such sites, because such a release would be illegal without proper licensing/permission with the artists/labels.
This is purely regarding 'royalty free' music.
Now if you prefer to ignore me on that one, fine, but I use and make royalty free music, so I have a fair bit of experience in this field.

Now regarding the use of copyrighted material, whether it be arranged differently or not, I'd be careful if I were you, because by my interpretation, Section 107 would give you a problem as you're looking to earn money from your youtube channel, thus it goes against the non-profit aspect explained in that section.
I'm no lawyer, so that's just my take on it, and if your lawyer is telling you that it's fine, good luck.

musicol

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2011
Royalty free

Hi there. I am not sure about the law on parodies but yes to be safe to get a license for it and it is something you should try to seek out especially if you don't want every video you upload to be flagged. Maybe you can check out http://www.jewelbeat.com/ as I see something there for you. Music is $0.99.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.