Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Like WOW man. No really, WOW - World of Warcraft. HUGELY popular RPG.

He asked for offline RPG games. There's Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale... RPG gaming is not a strong suit of the Mac platform. I'm not even sure if all of these run on an Intel Mac, but don't forget that you can always install Windows on your Intel Mac if you're desperate for more games to play.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Well supposedly Fable The Lost Chapters will ship some day. Other than that I just got an xbox because I got tired of waiting for them to get ported.

Oh, and Knights of the Old Republic is still being worked on to be Universal Binary (there is a beta patch out at the moment).

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
Neverwinter Nights (the second is being ported, according to Amazon, it will be available Feb. 4), KOTOR, Dungeon Siege (if you can find it, I have had no luck), Heroes of Might & Magic 5 (turn-based / RPG, but mainly turn-based)

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Any of the Spiderweb Software RPGs are good, and Eschalon Book I just came out. None of them are going to knock your socks off in the graphics department (in fact, they will put your socks firmly back on ;) ), but from a gameplay perspective, they beat most other RPGs. Eschalon is somewhat more polished if you really care about that sort of thing. The Spiderweb games are Mac-first, and then ported to Windows later, which is very highly unusual as I'm sure you know....

Edit: forgot to say, Knights of the Old Republic isn't being worked on. What's out now is it...Brad Oliver doesn't work at Aspyr anymore.

--Eric

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Well you're wrong to say it isn't being worked on. It still has some stuff going on. But yeah, he works for Apple now. There is a beta universal patch out too.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Another vote for Dungeon Siege! Despite improvements from the expansion (Legends of Aranna), and Dungeon Siege II — both for Windows only — the original is still the best IMO.

boz0

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
/dev/null
Neverwinter Nights (the second is being ported, according to Amazon, it will be available Feb. 4), KOTOR, Dungeon Siege (if you can find it, I have had no luck), Heroes of Might & Magic 5 (turn-based / RPG, but mainly turn-based)

Unfortunately, they always end up porting only part of a series : there's a port for Heroes 5 (which, as you pointed out, is more of a turn-based strategy game with some RPG elements), but you can't find either extension (Hammer of Fate / Tribes of the East).

I bet the same will hold for Neverwinter Nights 2, even though porting the extension should be easier there, as it's mainly a set of resources and modules.

Anyway, there are so many good games not being ported to MacOS that there's - unfortunately - no real alternative to dual booting into Windows for gaming.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
Any of the games from Spiderweb Software, I prefer the Avernum series but they are all pretty solid. Avernum 5 has been one of the best RPGs I've played in years, probably one of the best games I've played in years in general. And they are a great deal at under 30 bucks a pop for dozens of hours of gameplay per game. You can even get a solid discount on buying the Avernum trilogy and the Geneforge trilogy.

Eschalon Book I is real solid if you like ultima.

For SHEER RPG value you can't go wrong with buying Neverwinter nights Diamond. User crispyking over at the bioware forums has a script that will copy the files onto your Mac for you (you can also do it manually). I searched high and low for the past year for a reasonably priced copy of Neverwinter Nights since Macsoft won't sell the damn thing and then I ran across the information on using the readily available Windows disks. It's sudo sanctioned by Bioware, they want you to be able to play the game since you can't buy the Mac builds anymore but they can't provide any support for installation via this method.

Mac-Biodiesel

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
For SHEER RPG value you can't go wrong with buying Neverwinter nights Diamond. User crispyking over at the bioware forums has a script that will copy the files onto your Mac for you (you can also do it manually). I searched high and low for the past year for a reasonably priced copy of Neverwinter Nights since Macsoft won't sell the damn thing and then I ran across the information on using the readily available Windows disks. It's sudo sanctioned by Bioware, they want you to be able to play the game since you can't buy the Mac builds anymore but they can't provide any support for installation via this method.

Neverwinter Nights is a very good game. I've been playing it on my Windows XP partition through Boot Camp, but am trying out that cross-platform approach. I've gotten it to load and start a game, but it crashes shortly thereafter. It might be an issue related to multiple CPUs. I haven't heard of anyone having success with an Intel Mac or Leopard. Check out this thread:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/myviewtopic.html?topic=623955&forum=71

bassism

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2004
If you've never played, Fallout 1 and 2 work find on Intel macs and are probably at the top of my list of favourite games of all time.

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
running nwn on my mac pro and unless I disabled all the cores except 1 with CPUPalette, it would crash at random times, usually when a new sound was introduced... regardless, I am using CPUPalette to limit my 8 cores to 1 before starting up the game and it has worked for hours. Just wishing for the vaporware UB they have been mentioning.

Mac-Biodiesel

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
Yep, I've found success using CPUPalette, too. For those who don't know, you have to install it from the OS X dvd. Install the Developer's Tools package.

NOW I'm trying to figure out how to get the game resolution to match my OS resolution. The game runs in full screen, but I get a square instead of a rectangle, so there's a 1-inch wide black space on the sides of the game. Changing the game resolution doesn't help - it keeps the same square shape and just changes the size of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.