RPM? Fans? Temperature.. Mac Noob

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillEH, Mar 10, 2011.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Hi, I'm new to MBP, and not really with all the tech stuff. A friend recommended I download smcFanControl. So I did. What should the normal RPM be? and what the hell does RPM stand for? What is it?

Right now, it's at 57C, 2124 RPM. What would happen if I hit the RPM up to 4000? keeps my laptop cooler? is this safe?

Sorry for all the questions. =)

Thanks =)

2. iZero macrumors regular

RPM= Rotations per Minute :) It's a measurement of how fast the fan spins, similar to the RPM gauge on a car's engine.

I'd leave your fans alone and reset the SMC if I were you. It's unnecessary to manually control the speeds, your computer is well within safe operating ranges :) But if you prefer to do it manually, there's no danger in it. It will keep it cooler to kick the fans up higher. But it's designed to operate in a certain range. It's highly debated, but personally, I'd say the computer is designed to work one way, let it. I've used Macs for 10+ years now. Never had a problem due to heat, not a single failure, and every Mac I have owned, still works just fine. But you won't cause damage running SMC control, either.

Edit: As for normal RPM, it varies. The fans constantly change speeds automatically, to keep the computer in the designed range of temperature.

3. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Thanks for the reply =)

I've reset them to 2000RPM, and will leave them alone. But I'll keep the application, it's nice to see how hot my mac is =)

Thanks again for the reply =)

4. iZero macrumors regular

No problem! For a better way to monitor your system, try iStat Pro! It has a lot more readings on temperatures and various other things :) But if it gets too hot for your preference, there's nothing wrong with cooling it off! Some let their Mac control it's own temp, until they start gaming or working on CPU intensive tasks, then they turn the fans up. Everyone has their own way :)

5. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Fantastic! I downloaded it, and even got the app for my phone so I can remotely monitor my laptop! Last question (unrelated) any chance I can get the widget on the desktop or do I need to click dashboard each time to see it?

Thanks again =)

6. iZero macrumors regular

No problem!! :)

Well, to make it easier, I just press "f4" for dashboard. They do have a paid application that will show in your menu bar, near the wireless, bluetooth, etc. I've never tried that, but perhaps someone else can chime in about it for you :)

7. kidaquarius macrumors member

kidaquarius

iZero said really all that needs to be said.
    However, I wanted to point out that SMC really comes in handy when you have your Mac on your lap and you start watching videos or doing something processor intensive.
    Instead of being the recipient of heat soak and a sweaty jock, bump the fan up manually to cool it down.
    +1 on iStat as well. It's Dashboard only though, which is kind of a bummer. Not so bad when you get used to just pressing the Dashboard button at the top of the keyboard.

*iZero was faster then me..
    [sent from my android]

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Another vote for istat. I use that thing almost everyday. It's good to keep your computer vitals in check.

9. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I'm having issues locating the paid app, could you kindly direct me =)

10. kidaquarius macrumors member

kidaquarius

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

That is the developers website.
    I don't see a paid version either.
    I would poke around the page more. Could be hiding..

*edit
    I think this is what iZero was talking about..

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

*edit2
    iZero was faster again..

[sent from my android]

11. iZero macrumors regular

Here it is :) I think you can download a trial, but the program is 16 dollars.

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/ (It's under the Mac link on the page you guys provided :) )

:)

12. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Downloaded and bought, it's pretty cool =)

13. iZero macrumors regular

Glad you like it! :) Would you say it's worth the 16 bucks so far then? Or just kind of a cool novelty?

14. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I'd say it's worth it, it's got lots of features. Lots & lots of information.. worth the $16 (£12) for it. You can change lots, it's pretty great.

15. iZero macrumors regular

16. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Very much worth it. I use the network tracking icon more often than anything else so I can get an idea of the speed of network transfers from the Internet or another LAN device at a glance. It also has a much better battery and calendar menu item than what Apple provides.

And while we're at it, I should throw in this nifty app: http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

It lets you see if your MBP is using integrated or dedicated graphics, and which app is triggering the switch. Also comes with growl notifications.

17. iZero macrumors regular

18. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Oh no I'm too late, you already bought it!

Drag A Widget Onto The Desktop

Probably one of the coolest hacks. This command enables widgets to be placed onto the desktop. Drag a widget around and press F12 to drag it onto the desktop. Repeat the process again to drag a widget back onto the dashboard. This may need you to log off or restart for it to take effect.

defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES

(enter this into terminal)

Now you've opened the floodgates though, you're going to want to know everything thats going on with your computer at all times :D

19. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

+1.

Also, keep in mind modifying the fan speed "can" increase wear on them as well and overall longevity on that part of your computer alone. I usually leave it alone and just use a targus cooler and travel size if needed to keep the fans from kicking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Luckily, fans are cheap and easily replaceable. I usually only mess with them if watching a video/gaming/other intensive apps. Idle at 3k. Cooler=better:cool:

I also got one of those ThermaPads but it doesn't seem to do much except make it more comfortable on your lap. Maybe ill look into the targus cooler.

21. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Give it a shot. Targus is good. Just don't buy anything Belkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk