rPro Lag

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joshhedge, Sep 27, 2012.

1. joshhedge macrumors regular

Hi there,

I own the 2.6GHz 16GB RAM rPro. Whilst playing minecraft - allocated 4GB system RAM to the application, when running/using other applications with MC open the system feels incredibly laggy where text fails to appear on screen as you type. After looking at my activity monitor whilst doing this I'm at around 86% CPU Idle along with 7GB Free RAM. This problem is also noticeable while using VM in either Ubuntu or Win 7 - 2CPU cores with 4GB RAM allocation where the activity monitor is showing similar figures.

Would anyone mind explaining why this happens and what I can do to alleviate this problem?

Thanks!

2. bill-p macrumors 65816

3. joshhedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I actually reset my SMC after doing the EFI update. Why is the SMC causing so many problems?

4. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

It seems to be much more aggressive at throttling CPU and GPU than before. If you are a bit of a geek you can use some of the XCode graphics tools to see what your GPU utilisation is, but I wouldn't have thought that would affect text input...

5. joshhedge thread starter macrumors regular

I'll look into the XCode, I highly doubt GPU usage would be through the roof if minecraft is barely using 10% CPU. I do use gfxCardStatus to set the GPU to discrete during these sort of workloads.

6. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

You can download the XCode graphics tools without needing to install XCode, just use apple developer downloads:

https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action

Useful toos are Quartz Debug and OpenGL Driver Monitor. atMonitor can monitor GPU load, but on mountain lion it seems to have a bug with the GPU measurement code:

http://www.atpurpose.com/atMonitor/

It is hard to define exactly what your problem is, you are not swapping memory, you seem to have lots of headroom CPU wise and I assume your GPU is not saturated. When your typing lags, is screen drawing also slow (try moving a window around)?

7. joshhedge thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it is, also switching windows is slow along with general system performance!

8. joshhedge thread starter macrumors regular

I have just reset the SMC again and I am witnessing the same problems. FPS at first on MC are about 60fps with a 256* texture pack but quickly drops down to 20 still with around 10% CPU usage.

I love this laptop, but Apple need to sort their damn software out or stop releasing unfinished products!

Edit: Also worth noting that the temperatures on this laptop even when using the HD4000 are above 70 degrees Celsius, I've hit about 100 whilst web browsing once. Chess is also unplayable on either of the GPUs.

9. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Hm, I have the same spec rMBP as you, and doing intense work I never get to push my fans and temperatures are significantly better than my previous MBP (I do live in London, so not much ambient heat!!! ;) ). I program OpenGL visual stimuli, and when I turn off VSync, I get frame rates of ~280fps, which is consistent and higher than I get on my Octocore Mac Pro + ATI 5870, I don't see framerate drops after the EFI update.

10. joshhedge thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not really sure what to do then. I don't particularly want to take my laptop back to Apple as I've just started Uni at B'ham. I guess all I can do is carry on trying to reset the SMC until I get some improvement.

My display is LG and has some IR on a gray background, but other than that it's flawless.

11. joshhedge thread starter macrumors regular

Turns out I don't think my SMC is resetting, I've done it properly and to the book but the power adaptor light doesn't flicker at all. Anyone else have this happen to them?

12. bill-p macrumors 65816

Do it multiple times until it flickers.

13. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

How are you playing MC? Through the browser in 'Flash'? If so, this can be a nightmare on any computer. if you're running the Flash version are you fully updated with Flash and Java?

Again, only if you're running he browser/Flash game, have you tried in Chrome instead of Safari?

J

14. joshhedge, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

joshhedge thread starter macrumors regular

Native client :)

Alongside this, I have sat at my desk for 5 minutes try to get the light to flicker, to no avail.