RQ:Classic environment emulator

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chieffw, Sep 25, 2009.

1. chieffw macrumors newbie

So I need some form of classic environment emulator. I do not need stuff like Sheepsaver that allow you to install a second OS because I don't have one, don't want to buy one or download one.

Is there some sort of an emulator program, addon, tool or application that I can install and it will allow me to instal Heroes 3(it requires the no-longer-supported classic environment from what I hear) on my MacBook :( ?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are asking for the impossible. The Classic environment allows the user to run MacOS 9 within MacOS X. SheepShaver (not Sheepsaver) provides the ability to run System 7.5.2 through MacOS 9.0.4 in an emulated environment. Both require the installation of a "second OS."

3. chieffw thread starter macrumors newbie

But I don't want to run os 9, I want to run an old program, but Intel has apparently corrupted my favorite company :(

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to run a MacOS 9 (OS-9 is a different OS)-based apps, then you need MacOS 9. There is no way around it. Intel has nothing to do with it.

5. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Well, yes it does. With the release of Leopard aimed mainly at the new line of Intel Macs, support of the Classic API was dropped. It was a sad day for some, and tedious for others. But we must remember Apple is a progressive company.
    There's something called COI (Classic on Intel) but it's similar to SheepShaver although it has MacOS 9 already preinstalled. However no applications would install on it, for me at least...

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

There is nothing like what you're asking for, as far as I know. If you need to run a Classic application, you either need a PPC Mac running 10.4 or earlier or a PPC Mac running actual OS 9 (or earlier), or you need to mess around with SheepShaver. I tried SheepShaver and found it to be too much of a hack for my liking, but then I have PPC machines if I want to run Classic apps.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, it does not. Intel does not decide which processors Apple uses in its computers. That is a decision made by Apple and Apple alone. Having decided to use Intel processors, it was also Apple's decision to not to support a Classic environment on its Intel-based computers. This was a business decision, not a technical limitation. Admittedly, it would have been more difficult and more expensive to support Classic on Intel. If Apple wanted to do it, then it most certainly could have.

8. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Apple's choice to switch to Intel was what I was referring to, not Intel as a manufacturer. It was already quite buggy and just a quick-fix until developers got their asses into gear and rewrote their applications, which unfortunately some didn't. It was never meant to be a permanent API.

9. WatchSmart macrumors member

Short of using 10.4, SheepShaver is your only choice.

Classic-on-Intel is SheepShaver, just bundled with an (illegal) copy of OS 9. Keep in mind that COI uses an older, somewhat buggy version of SheepShaver than you can find elsewhere.

10. Carmageddon macrumors newbie

What if I have a system 9.1 install disc? Still limited by the int-hell processor?

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Sheepshaver supports no OS higher than MacOS 9.0.4. If you have MacOS 9.1, then you are SOL.