Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Hey!
Does anybody know if any of the RSS apps in the app store can sync with newsgator? I have been using NetNewsWire since September or so, and it just doesn't fit my needs for an RSS reader on my iPod Touch. I love the desktop apps, so I still want to keep using newsgator (as opposed to Google Reader).

Do any of the apps like Newstand sync with newsgator?

thanks.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Great question. I like NNW on the desktop, but it's kind of lame on the iPod touch. However, I don't know of anything out there that syncs with Newsgator other than NNW.

KRAPPS

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
hmmmm, isn't NewsGator a proprietary product and do not release their API? I'm thinking yes and thus only NNW would be compatible. I don't see any others in the App Store either.

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Can I ask what's wrong with NNW on the iPhone/iPod?

I really liked it and if it synced with Google Reader (never gonna happen lol) then I'd be using it for certain.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Can I ask what's wrong with NNW on the iPhone/iPod?

I really liked it and if it synced with Google Reader (never gonna happen lol) then I'd be using it for certain.

It doesnt show all of my feeds, only the ones with updates.
Doesn't show my newsgator clippings.
Doesn't manage lots of feeds very well
No ability to add new feeds from the iPhone.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
It doesnt show all of my feeds, only the ones with updates.
Doesn't show my newsgator clippings.
Doesn't manage lots of feeds very well
No ability to add new feeds from the iPhone.

And as good as NNW is, the inability to view clippings and not be able to add feeds directly are the two frustrations I have with it.

That said, as I use Newsgator and don't want to switch to Google, I'm sort of stuck too.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Do you know of any good desktop apps that work on both Mac and PC that sync with google reader? If you can find any, I will switch right away to Google Reader.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Do you know of any good desktop apps that work on both Mac and PC that sync with google reader? If you can find any, I will switch right away to Google Reader.

Gazette...it works great and the developers are constantly fine tuning and adding features requested by users.

I used to use NewsGator but just imported everything from there to Google when I couldn't stand the Gator reader NNW.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Gazette...it works great and the developers are constantly fine tuning and adding features requested by users.

I used to use NewsGator but just imported everything from there to Google when I couldn't stand the Gator reader NNW.

But thats for the iPhone isn't it? I will probably end up using that for feeds, but I still need an RSS client for my computer (both a mac and pc). :eek:

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
But thats for the iPhone isn't it? I will probably end up using that for feeds, but I still need an RSS client for my computer (both a mac and pc). :eek:

Google Reader

Everything I use is from my Google Account...Gmail, Google Reader, Google Docs, Google Talk, Picasa (pictures) and the list goes on. All of it works with your iPhone and/or syncs and Works flawlessly with a PC and I am sure with a Mac. It is totally free unlike MobileMe which does all of the same stuff that Google does except that you pay $100 per year for extra storage space. My free Google account currently gives me over 7gig of space for free. iGoogle is my Firefox home page so starts right where I need to do everything.

It was a little rough changing over in the beginning but I have completely done away with MSN and found I do not need to waste precious dollars there or on MobileMe that doesn't always work anyway.

In today's economy...Free is better especially when everything is right there under one account and works.

gospel9

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Google reader's web app is in my opinion much better than any other desktop rss clients. It loads extremely fast and parses the feeds very accurately. The backend is extremely responsive and reliable.

The shortcuts using J to read a feed and K to return to previous is a huge time saver and it feels just like a desktop app.

Two more important features that I like of google reader(web app) is that you can email the full rss feed (along with images and formatting) directly in the web app. And the nice thing about web apps in general is that you can access your sync'd feeds from any computer.

heyp

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
netnewswire iphone app definitely needs some work... it frequently won't update some feeds but updates others... when emailing a link, it should return to the previous emailed item, which sometimes it does and most of the time does not... also sometimes it will randomly show more unread items than are actually there

i'd be interested in an alternative as well

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I was thinking same thing. I love netnewswire on mac but don't really like the iphone app.

some iphone apps allow you to import your rss feeds from netnewswire but that'll just put them on your phone not keep the data synced.

I want a new client that I can use on my mac and iphone non web program like google reader but an actual app.

KRAPPS

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
Google Reader desktop client = Google reader
iPhone client = Byline (offline reading capability) ... although there are many other solid ones as well

TheMacAvenger

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
The Deep South
I'm with everyone else: NNW on iPhone = just OK.

But I'd be remiss if I didn't throw in a vote for using Fluid to make a "standalone" desktop Google Reader app, and then you can sync it with - in my opinion - the best Google-syncing app in the store: Feeds. I was about to give up on 'em, because Google syncing was V-E-R-Y slow, but they just released an update which improves the speed probably tenfold or more. I think it's probably the fastest Google-sync available in an iPhone app right now. And it's stable as a table.

SkillsToShow

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2008
California
I am also in pretty much the same dilemma. I just got a Mac and have been using NNW desktop app but I cant find a good app for the touch that will sync with it.

I found the best solution so far, use ReadAir which is a desktop client for mac/pc syncs perfectly with google reader and Gazette for iPhone or iPod touch

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
If this happens with full-on two-way syncing with Google, I think it's game over in the world of RSS readers.

Bostonaholic

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Pro RSS ($4.99) or Free RSS both have in the settings Newsgator sync. I've never used Newsgator so I cannot testify as to it's usability, but it's there supposedly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.