RSS feeds in Safari menu bar?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AuroraProject, Mar 27, 2008.

1. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Is there a way to have rss feeds in the Safari menu bar display like Firefox does? For example in Firefox I can have Diggs rss feed and when I click on it it shows a drop down menu with the latest news, Safari just takes me to the Digg rss page.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No. Honestly I don't know why people prefer this. Of course, I use RSS feeds as replacements for going to actual webpages, so.

3. richard.mac, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i add RSS feeds to a bookmark folder in my bookmarks bar. the total number of unread articles are displayed in brackets.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, but what he's describing is putting ONE RSS feed in a bar like that, and when you click to get a contextual menu it actually lists the headline items in the RSS feeds as the menu's entries. Funny, the first time I used RSS was when Safari 2 introduced support for it, so the Firefox method seems really silly to me. I guess I can see how Safari's method might seem weird to someone weaned on RSS in Firefox. :eek:

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yeah, me too. I don't really get how the FF method would be useful.

6. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I find it to be useful in that I don't have to page through web sites to view articles I want to read, I just click the link, look at the articles and click on one I want to read.

[​IMG]

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

And I find it useful that I can aggregate 10 sites' RSS feeds onto ONE webpage and scroll through it in Safari. Different strokes I suppose.

8. page29 macrumors newbie

I agree the Firefox way is better as you don't have to actually visit the website to browse the feeds.

IS THERE ANY WAY YOU CAN DO THIS IS SAFARI YET?

Thanks!

9. mauly macrumors 6502

This is the only reason i don't use safari.... I wish apple would give this option, its so simple to look at and pick the story you want and not having to leave the page you are on if there is no story that you are interested in!!!

The safari rss seems to me very un-apple...

10. hanguolaohu macrumors regular

I cannot believe that this still has not been added as an option, plugin or extension...

11. keepy69 macrumors newbie

bugger, I was hoping that I'd get to the bottom of the thread and I'd get the answer on how to do it... :-(

In short, when in work, its more discreet to list a drop down of arbitrary headers with a work based page in the background than it is to have a browser window display a full tab window of RSS.

some companies are funny about it some aren't... I just wish that Safari could do it because the 'Top Sites' page is better imho than the firefox one... if onyl the two would mate... :)

12. pcairic macrumors newbie