RSS Feeds & News. Do you need wifi to read?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DaGrandMastah, Mar 19, 2011.

1. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

I just got my ipad and I picked up The Early Edition app which collects all the RSS feeds and puts them in a cool newspaper format. My question is: Do I need wifi to access those articles once I've loaded them up on the ipad? I know that I'll initially need wifi to refresh all the feeds but after that can I read the articles without wifi? That would be awesome since I could then read them on the train on my way to work.

Same thing goes for the NY Times app and USA Today.

Thanks!

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Depends on the app. I use Reeder (fantastic btw) and it caches all articles and pictures. Try turning wifi off after refreshing the feed and see.

3. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol....I never even realized to just turn off wifi. I'm waiting for a case to take it out of the house. I'll check out reeder while I'm at it.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ah a newbie! Enjoy it!

Settings > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi On/Off toggle

5. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to confirm. All 3 Apps allow you load up and go without a wifi connection.

Thanks for the suggestion. Glad to know someone here is using common sense!

And thanks for the reeder suggestion. I'll check that out if not a fan of The Early Editiion but all signs point to it being an awesome app.

I would recommend checking it out...especially considering that it's on sale for a limited time for only 99 cents. It's normally 4.99.

6. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha nooo. I know how to turn wi-fi off. I just never realized to do that instead of asking and/or getting out of my wi-fi enabled house. It's 9 am here...I just woke up. Lol.