RSS feeds not opening in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Anthony A, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Anthony A macrumors member

I am using Safari 5.0.2 on a Macbook Pro running OS 10.5.8. I have Safari set as my default browser and I have RSS feeds set in Safari preferences to use Google Reader as my default RSS reader. Problem is when I click the RSS indicator in the address bar of Safari to add the feed Camino opens up with the dialog to add the feed to Google Reader.Obviously this should happen in Safari not Camino.

I also have Google Chrome, Firefox, and Opera installed along with Camino and Safari. All the other browsers RSS work as they should. What could be causing this in Safari?

2. Anthony A thread starter macrumors member

3. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Do you have a maintenance app. like Onyx, Cocktail (Cokctail, for the censors :rolleyes:), etc..? If so, try rebuilding your Launch Services database.

Or do it from Terminal, as described here.

4. Anthony A thread starter macrumors member

OK I ran Onyx to rebuild the Launch Services. Camino no longer opens when I try to add a RSS feed to Safari so that is fixed . The problem is that now when I add an RSS feed it tries to add it to Safari not Google Reader and in Safari Preferences I no longer see the option to use Google Reader as my default RSS reader. Is that option removed in Safari 5? It was there in 4.