Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
One thing I've always kind of wanted to set up on the internet is an RSS feed where anytime a news story gets posted that I want to read, it goes to it. I could follow local news, sports stories about my favorite teams, etc. etc.

I've never used an RSS feed, so my questions are:

- Is that what an RSS feed does?
- Is there an RSS feed app that would push me notifications when the feed was updated?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I live on my RSS feeds, use Google News via Reeder 24/7, never visit a newspaper's website. Just get it fed to me.

The answer to your question: As soon as one of the RSS apps is built to include push notification functionality for iOS 5 we'll have what you're looking for.

I know it's not the same thing, but I get around 500 stories pushed to me via RSS each day in Reeder but for the ones that are on a subject that's really important I set up a Google RSS email alert. Accomplishes what you're talking about if you want a very important subject/article pushed to you in realtime.

BJ

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I live on my RSS feeds, use Google News via Reeder 24/7, never visit a newspaper's website. Just get it fed to me.

The answer to your question: As soon as one of the RSS apps is built to include push notification functionality for iOS 5 we'll have what you're looking for.

I know it's not the same thing, but I get around 500 stories pushed to me via RSS each day in Reeder but for the ones that are on a subject that's really important I set up a Google RSS email alert. Accomplishes what you're talking about if you want a very important subject/article pushed to you in realtime.

BJ

Thanks. This seems like a workable, though imperfect, solution

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I have always used twitter for breaking news, espn, and whatever news network, and then you can have those pushed to your notification center, problem is if you follow too many people, you get clutter.

I don't use twitter for social networking, I use it to get fantasy football updates, breaking news, and sports news...all pushed to my notification, so I get one about every hr.

I know its not RSS, but I have never really done that on my phone, just my laptop

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I have always used twitter for breaking news, espn, and whatever news network, and then you can have those pushed to your notification center, problem is if you follow too many people, you get clutter.

I don't use twitter for social networking, I use it to get fantasy football updates, breaking news, and sports news...all pushed to my notification, so I get one about every hr.

I know its not RSS, but I have never really done that on my phone, just my laptop

I use twitter a lot too. This might be a better option for me (depending on how customizable it is).

How do you get twitter updates pushed to your notification center? The way I have it set up is I have about 100 accounts I follow. I'd like about 20 of them pushed to my notification center (is this possible?)

The way I do it now is I have those 20 accounts set up to notify me via text message whenever they tweet. I'd prefer they go to the notification center rather than a text message from 'Twitter' (40404) though it isn't that big of a deal either way. Of course if it is an all or none thing with the notification center, it won't work for me because some of the accounts I follow tweet dozens if not hundreds of times a day.

vebs

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Leicester, UK
I think Boxcar will do it, I used to use it for Facebook notifications. Boxcar's push is usually pretty quick with new items.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Boxcar isn't free, there has to be a way to do this for free. I am trying to figure it out right now

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I use twitter a lot too. This might be a better option for me (depending on how customizable it is).

How do you get twitter updates pushed to your notification center? The way I have it set up is I have about 100 accounts I follow. I'd like about 20 of them pushed to my notification center (is this possible?)

The way I do it now is I have those 20 accounts set up to notify me via text message whenever they tweet. I'd prefer they go to the notification center rather than a text message from 'Twitter' (40404) though it isn't that big of a deal either way. Of course if it is an all or none thing with the notification center, it won't work for me because some of the accounts I follow tweet dozens if not hundreds of times a day.

No, at least not with the Twitter for iPhone app. As of now, you're doing it the right way via texts.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
oh my bad didnt know.

anyway, I figured out how to do twitter notifications.

setup twitter through SMS in twitter settings. then use these settings...

Twitter commands

Do more than Tweet! Send these commands to Twitter:

FOLLOW username
Start following a user
UNFOLLOW username
Stop following a user
ON/OFF
Turn all Tweet notifications on or off
ON/OFF username
Set Tweet notifications for a user on or off (you'll still be following them even if you set it to off)
GET username
Shows you the latest tweet from any user
RETWEET username
Retweet a user's latest tweet
FAVORITE username
Favorite a user's latest tweet
DM username your-message
Send a direct message to a user

Basically the main one you want to use is the ON/OFF username so you get tweet notifications for that person, pushed to you directly to texts, which will show in your notification center.

if this is too complicated, use boxcar

----------

I just played around with boxcar, seems a little slow and delayed. I am sure it just needs to be updated again, or have their servers refreshed/updated...but I might stick to the SMS thing for now til it gets better..

I also expect the twitter integration to get expanded in each new iOS 5 update so I am sure they will allow the notification center/twitter integration to further develop, just be patient, but there are workarounds avail if you want or need them...

good luck

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Another good alternative is ifttt.com. You can have it monitor your RSS feeds then have it either emailed, boxcar'd, chatted, or even texted I believe.

Right now with Boxcar, Twitter timeline notifications seem to have slowed down. Although RSS feed notifications using ifttt.com with boxcar show up quite quickly.

Are there any boxcar alternatives out there by the way?

Timisone

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
I been using simple rss + it was free, couple of days ago. Don't know if it is anymore. It allows you to sign in with you gmail reader account and notifies you from there.

vebs

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Leicester, UK
If anyone is interested; I've been testing out various free rss/push apps over the last few days and by far the best is 'Push4 Lite'. The push notifications are the most reliable and fast of all the apps I had a go with.

Twitter, Facebook and mail integration is included too. There's a paid version of the app, not sure what the differences are though.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/push4-lite/id455293718?mt=8

Definitely recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.