RSS for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tagmut, Jul 10, 2009.

1. tagmut macrumors newbie

Has anyone seen an RSS News Feed Program for the iPhone that 'pushes' new stories yet?

2. Morn macrumors 6502

You want hundreds of pushed stories each day?

3. tagmut thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a few sites that might push one or two items a day related to my job (legal)

4. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

No but consider what this would require based on Apple's design of the push notifications system. You can not individually connect to it for a particular app so there would have to be a server that did the real aggregation and pushed you notifications. There are a few potential candidates for this service like newsgator and google reader but it seems neither are acting on it immediately. I would expect to see it from newsgator (who has NetNewsWire on the phone) if anyone did it though.

The only alternative I can think of is something like Prowl accompanying NetNewsWire on your mac at home to send notifications to the phone.

Personally I don't mind this situation because I use RSS for exactly the opposite reason I want to be notified of things. I want my rss aggregation to reduce the time I'm spending focused on random internet crap :) So the last thing I want is to be reminded immediately that I have things to read, or I might stop to read them.

But I realize some people use rss aggregation for things that are more notification-worthy like server status or work stuff... so maybe keep an eye on NewsGator.

5. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

See this thread for a solution to push RSS feed updates using Prowl, you would still need a proper feed reader to read the actual article but at least you will be notified when they are updated.